Past Shadows

Tamie

Each night I sleep with Wood, it's the best night of my life. The one better than the other, drawing me deeper in love with him. I never knew such bliss could be achieved. He is all in all perfect. Last night he let go and showed me that other side of him that he kept suppressed so he wouldn't hurt me. That was reason enough for me to love him more. At the same time, he is so sweet and tentative, tender and caring. He has it all.

I roll on my other side so that I face him. A ray of light is hitting him just right, his thick, dark lashes almost caressing his cheek, his cheekbones, the pillar neck of his, his chest broad and strong. I cozy closer and he engulfs me in his arms, still asleep. I love him so much!

"WOOD!" A loud bang on the door disrupts the cocoon I have encased us in.

Wood jumps up instantly and looks at me. He leans in and leaves a kiss on my forehead.

"Stay here," he says and grabs his briefs before opening the door.

Vince stands there and his look is dead serious. I see Wood's back tense and I pull the covers even more to me.

"Morning, Tamie," Vince winks at me and I nod. "Thing in 10 minutes," Vince says to Wood.

"Trouble?"

"Someone hurt Tanya. She is in the hospital and says it's some revenge on us shit."

"Be there in 10, brother," Wood says and closes the door.

"Kyle? Is everything OK?"

"Club business, kitten. I will tell you what I can when I can. Though if Tanya is involved, Ava will be all over this. Dress up and let's have breakfast in the kitchen. No time for breakfast in bed, babe, sorry," he apologizes sweetly and leans to leave a kiss on my lips.

We get dressed and go in the kitchen. Everyone is in and up. Even the Valkyries except for Chiara. The one fuming more than anyone is Ava. She, Tanya and Galina are close. She is cursing in Russian speaking into her phone. When we come in, Iris gets up and takes me in her arms. She too is tense.

Wood gives me a nod and I go to the table were the girls are sitting while he goes to whip something quick for everyone to eat. Tor is pacing and looks at Ava and Stig is on a table with his laptop.

"Who would dare touch one of our girls?" Tor demands.

"Are we sure they knew who she worked for?" Daniel is calmer.

"Tanya says that she said the exact same thing to them. They laughed and said we took one of theirs and they are hurting one of ours."

I freeze. Could it be...? I have never told Wood about that night in Logan's house, never mentioned the subtle threats but could it be that they mean me?

"Bullshit!" Ava is off the phone. "I make sure all of our girls are free and clean. Runner? Jab?"

"Some thing for the studios," Runner shrugs. "Most of the girls were simply amateurs before they came to us and the majority of them our own rotters."

"I think this is bullshit, too," Tor hits his hand on the table. "Tanya is our biggest earner. That's not a coincidence."

Biggest earner? I was Freddie's biggest earner. But it can't be. Freddie is dead. Everyone is dead. It can't be!

The atmosphere during breakfast is heavy and we all finish it quickly. The men go to Thing and Ava proposes we visit Tanya. Wood comes to me and gives me a sweet kiss.

"Stay close to Magda," he proposes. "We are sending two thralls with you but you will be safe with her."

Magda winks at him and smiles at me. I know they are close those two and I also know that Magda is probably more lethal than the thralls.