[ 21 ] - Smells Like Sunshine

Noah had to be the first — and only — person to keep me talking for hours without it being Alize. He was so oddly intrigued by every little thing that came spewing from my lips that he wouldn't waste a tinsy second after i've finished to bombard me with more questions. And what was surprising about this was that i obliged by answering each and everyone one of them as truthfully as possible. The topics had changed so much and so fast that i couldn't keep up with them even if i tried. There was just something about that little glint shining in his natural blue eyes that had me complying to everything he said, at the early beginning i felt this need to appease him in any way that i could, and in this case, me rambling on for hours and hours about my dreams and aspirations in life was what he was most interested in.

By this time i've already had three cups of coffee. Noah's had four refills of soda. The plate that once held the coconut cream pie was long gone, as was the slice of dessert itself.

I felt guilty about eating the little piece of creamy goodness and spent the first ten minutes continuously offering him some, but he'd always respond with a small shake of his head or a polite, "No, thank you."

I had to try and control my heart rate every time the slow drawl of his husky voice made its way up to my ears. It would always make my chest tighten in the most lovely way possible, and the same with his eyes. Both were ravishing in their own way — in Noah's way. I trusted there was no other being alive that contained the identical aura as him; it made me feel special for having to witness it with my own eyes.

"Do you ever think about college?" asked Noah in that sexy drawl.

Butterflies erupted all around the inside of my body as i looked elsewhere to prevent him from seeing my blushed cheeks. This had to be the most embarrassing bodily reaction that took charge every time he opened his mouth.

"Sometimes... " I squeaked. I cleared my throat to get rid of the scratchiness in my voice, "I think about colleges that are away from here, then i feel bad because i realize how badly i want to get out of here and how far away i want to be from my family as possible. There's nothing keeping me here after graduation, so i think it's okay to want to leave... but my family is... "

"Your family... ?" He quietly guessed.

I looked at him slowly and nodded. He seemed to understand the feeling. "... Yeah."

Noah nodded once and looked down at his almost empty cup of soda. My coffee was already done, and by the looks of the clock that hung on the opposite wall, it was about to be three-thirty in the afternoon. "Have you applied to any?" He asked again.

"Only one... it was a while ago and i haven't heard back from them yet so i don't think i got in." I shrugged at the last part and tried to seem not so bummed out about it even though i was. "Have you?" I asked.

Noah looked up from the soda. "What?"

"Have you applied to any colleges?"

He looked shocked and amused at the same time. He smiled a little and chuckled before he shook his head. "No. And even if i had, there isn't any way i would get accepted with the way my record looks."

I saw it in his eyes then, behind his facade there was this deep longing look that sent goosebumps down my spine. He had more reason then anyone to want to get out of this town. "What do you mean?"

It was a stupid question that didn't deserve the obvious answer, still, it hadn't stopped him from subtly changing the subject — which i was grateful for. "What college did you apply to?" He had asked, his eyes regaining that earlier interested glimmer as he now looked directly at me.