[ 46 ] - A Couple of Kids In Love

It was a miracle that I was here in the elevator of the firm where my father worked instead of wrapped in Noah's arms still. Though it's been a little while since I left the apartment, there wasn't anything that stopped the tingles and the warmth that spread throughout my body at the memory of his hands on my skin; his scent heavily lingering on my clothes made sure of that. As the elevator continued its journey up to the highest floor, I snuggled into the collar of my sweater where it smelled most like him and closed my eyes, imagining we were still in our little bubble of bliss back in the apartment- until the chilling thought of seeing my father in only a few moments had started settling deep in my bones.

I gasped loudly, my hands coming to cover my mouth as I stared at my horrified reflection on the doors.

I was going to see my father.

After weeks of not speaking to him, I was finally going too. And about what?

None other than what his relationship with my boyfriend was- and though it seemed unnecessary seeing as how I already knew what the relationship was- it didn't change the fact that I would need to be talking about Noah's background with him. I sunk low to the floor, curling my knees to my chest as I anxiously took my bottom lip between my teeth, gnawing at it harshly while cursing at myself for not discussing what I should say with Noah when we had the chance.

Obviously I would have to say I knew of his... activities.

Why would I lie? It would only make this situation- this most unlikely of situations- more awkward and confusing.

But, what would my father say? Would he disapprove of his daughter dating someone like that? Someone who participated in such dangerous acts would surely not allow them to date their child, especially considering how secretive and again dangerous it was.

Though... why would he disapprove?

It wasn't like I was the one fighting. I wasn't the one putting my health and my body at risk. I was perfectly fine.

Safe.

I wasn't getting hurt at all- not physically, anyway.

The memory of the scars and bruises when Noah and I first met came flooding through my mind like an old film, the pain he went through- still goes through. It was unfair seeing him go through so much, but it was necessary for him and his father... wasn't it?

The only only reason Noah was even involved in that sort of business was because of financial difficulties, and from what I remember, Paul seemed to have everything under control now. Right? Or was that the outcome of the business Noah was affiliated with?

Sharp pangs were felt attacking my brain, and I winced.

Exhaustion hit me like a freight train out of nowhere; suddenly my vision blurred and my legs gave out right under me, it didn't help that my head was slowly killing me.

When was the last time I actually ate or drank anything?

I huffed when I couldn't remember clearly. Hopefully I packed something in my bag; a little fruit snack or at least a stick of gum- something to keep me going before getting into this until I could leave. Carelessly I shuffled things around, pushing my wallet and chapstick with the tip of my index finger before noticing a small blue packet at the bottom of the bag.

I picked it up, looking at it curiously. "What... ?"

I squeezed the packet in my hand trying to feel what was inside, I could feel a squishy, circular outline of whatever was inside, and turned it over to look for some sort of writing or a label-