[ 36 ] - Baby Sister Jamie

Wednesday was always the day I was able to get coffee twice in a row. I had a free period those days after lunch was over so I always walked three blocks down from the school to this secluded little café. It was usually mistaken for a frozen yogurt establishment due to it's vibrant colors and advertisement that resembled yogurt then the actual coffee itself, but because of that it didn't really get that much customers. There were really harsh critics about it online, but I always adored it's home-y design.

That was where I was headed now.

As soon as I spotted the familiar vibrant blue chairs that sat outside the building next to the nail salon and other local stores, I sighed in relief.

I walked briskly across the street just in time before the lights changed and hurried toward the door grabbing the handle. The smell of sweets and coffee quickly invaded my senses, reminding me how I've been neglecting this place. The cashier behind the counter looked up at the sound of the bell ringing atop of the door, he was tall and looked to be around my age, maybe a little older as he took his time coming toward the register. His hair was a light brown, eyes the same but dull making me nervous. "What can I get you?"

His tone was bored, and he looked at me the same way.

Now I was one-hundred percent feeling intimidated at his aloofness and stared directly at the menu that was on the counter, my stomach feeling heavy and the crave for coffee slowly dissipating making me question if I wanted coffee in the first place. I nibbled on the inside of my cheek, my hand fisting the sleeve of my hoodie. "C-can I have a medium coffee... please?"

I sensed the guy lean in closer and stiffened up, my eyes looking directly into his. The color drained from my face seeing his bored expression change into a blank look, he somehow got even more frightening like this.

"What was that?" He asked.

I went to open my mouth, trying incredibly hard not to let the tears that were quickly forming in my eyes to fall over something as small as this ridiculous encounter and speak, but nothing was coming out. Now I was intimidated, embarrassed and upset. Those three incredibly powerful emotions only increased my chances of crying in front of a complete stranger over coffee.

"There you are!"

Suddenly an arm was thrown around my neck, the sudden action making the tears go away, and the force of it bringing my head into a girls chest- I knew because of the feeling her breasts on my cheek. I felt my face flame up in shock and embarrassment and looked up to see the girl Sue from all those weeks back and her friend surrounding me looking at me like a long-lost friend or something. "We were looking for you everywhere, Jamie. How come you didn't tell us you were here already? We could've came together!"

The Asian girl, (Nancy, I believe her name was), stood incredibly close to my left, her once vibrant red hair now dyed a deep navy blue which complimented her skin beautifully. "You had us worried for a sec, honey-bun."

Honey-bun?

"What- ?"

I felt Sue casually lean in close to my ear, her perfume ingulfing my senses. She smelled really good- the thought alone made me squirm. "Play along." She whispered then straightened up, her arm that was once around my neck fell loosely on my shoulder. "Can we have three iced almond milk lattes, one with whipped cream and caramel around the cup, and then one- wait, what do you want?"

Sue's face was uncomfortable close to mine. I could see how clean her skin was and how the fake lashes really complimented her light brown eyes. "M-medium coffee, p-please," I squeaked which made Sue and Nancy coo at me, their light-hearted jokes of my 'cuteness' making my whole face turn three times darker- which they joked about as well.