☼ one ☼

august 2008
eleven years old

Archie sat in the back of the class admiring the blonde haired girl from afar. The second she gracefully walked into the classroom his wide brown eyes were glued to her every move.

She immediately got along with everyone. I mean, of course though, with looks like that she's obviously a catch. Although, it wasn't just her looks but her sparkling personality as well. No one had ever met anyone as sweet and beautiful as her.

Archie usually disliked new students. He was always the teachers pet. Always the straight A student, always the main attraction, and always the kid who got a starburst for being a good boy. He never wanted anyone to take his reputation away from him. He was too scared that new kids would be smarter and nicer than him. He didn't want anyone else getting praised for the things he was good at.

With this new student though, she could stomp all over him, be a straight A student, and steal all of his starbursts, and he would thank her.

For once, Archie didn't feel in the mood for talking out loud. This was a new feeling that he had never felt before. He was always loud, but in a good happy way of course. He was always in front of the classroom. But something changed now, he found himself in the back of the classroom waiting to be acknowledged by the pretty girl.

Yes, he could just go up to her and introduce himself or crack a joke or comment on how nice she must smell but he just couldn't bring himself to do it. Something was holding him back and he wasn't sure what it was.

Even if he did go up to her, he'd make a fool of himself. A part of him knew that was impossible. He doesn't recall anytime he ever made a fool of himself or humiliated himself in any way. He was perfect.

So why suddenly was he feeling so...shy?

He nearly shuddered at the word.

Before he can make any moves or discourage his thoughts anymore, he felt someone take the place of the empty chair beside him.

"Dude, what are you doing in the back of the classroom? The excitement is up front."

Reggie. Reggie has been Archie's best friend since the third grade. They used to hate each other. He even punched Archie one time in the second grade. Reggie had been just as jealous of Archie as everyone else. Archie always stole Reggie's thunder. He always interrupted Reggie, praised himself in front of Reggie, and even stole Reggie's girlfriend, Veronica.

Veronica and Archie didn't last more than a few days. Archie then went up to Reggie with a big apology and offered to help him with his Science Fair project. They both ended up taking credit for the project and won first place.

Now, it wasn't just Archie. It was Archie&Reggie. The two most popular guys in the class. But everyone including Reggie knew that he couldn't meet Archie's standards.

"I think I'm better off back here Reg." Archie said taking out his bag of starbursts and giving some to Reggie.

"Oh come on. Your chances are being thrown at your face and you just keep dodging them. So if I were you I'd grow some balls and get out of weenie hut junior."

"I am not in weenie hut junior."

Reggie snickered. "Yah you're right. You're in SUPER weenie hut junior."