☼ three ☼

december 2008
eleven years old
aka "how the Andrews, the Mantles, the Coopers, and the Jones all ended up spending New Years Eve  together"

Every year it was tradition for The Mantles to come over to The Andrews house for New Years Eve. They'd have dinner, have a cornhole tournament, and light fireworks.

Archie was bouncing on his feet waiting for Reggie to come over. He couldn't wait to see him. He was very hungry too. Dinner tonight was lasagna and garlic bread, one of his favorite meals. Unfortunately, he had to wait until The Mantles arrived which wouldn't be for an hour.

Archie gasped realizing he forgot to set the table. His mom usually gets mad at him when he forgets. He gets an allowance at the end of the week for all the chores he's done. He's been trying to save up but it's hard to do that when Nintendo comes out with a new game every couple weeks.

He rushed to the table only to find the table was already set.

Did he set the table but just didn't remember? His memory can't be that bad.

Before he could question himself anymore his mother came in the room drying her hands on a apron with a permanent smile.

"Hey Sweetheart. I thought I'd do you a favor." She said.

"Wow Mom! Thanks!" He said running over to her and hugging her. He didn't know what he did to make her do that but he was grateful.

A lot of rustling was heard from outside and Archie brightened thinking it was Reggie but when he heard the keys jangling he bolted to the door.

Fred Andrews unlocked the door and hardly even made it in before he was engulfed by Archie.

Fred was very dirty and sweaty after working at the construction site. This didn't seem to phase Archie. Archie was always thrilled to see his dad. Archie adored his mom but his dad, besides Reggie, was like a best friend to him. They played video games together, went to get ice cream even if it's really late, and go to carnivals. So whenever Fred went to work, Archie would feel like he lost his other half.

"Hey kiddo, what's got you so hyped up?" Fred chuckled.

"I'm excited to see you Daddy! I didn't think you'd come back." Archie said hugging him tighter.

Fred grunted. "I love the hugs buddy but I also love to breathe."

"Oops! Sorry." Archie pulled away giggling.

Fred was about to close the door but Archie squealed in excitement when seeing The Mantles bright red convertible pull up. You couldn't miss it.

Reggie jumped out of the car smiling, holding a plate of brownies for dessert making Archie smile back.

This was gonna be a fun night!

"That lasagna was so good! I don't think I can eat dessert." Reggie said flopping back on Archie's bed.

Archie sat on the beanbag that was placed beside the bed. "Oh cmon Reg, you never miss out on dessert."

"You're right." Reggie nodded in agreement.