The Happenstance

I wake up, take a bath, get dressed. I was about to head down when I heard Jisoo sighed. It means one thing, she can't pick out what she wants to wear. My sister and I are completely different, she may be older than me but people think that I am more matured than her. When it comes to times like this, I plan what will I wear the next day so I won't have a hard time choosing on that day. I knock on her door and she opens it, Jisoo went back to her closet and pulls another outfit, looking unsatisfied with how she looks, she always wakes up an hour earlier than me but still ends up late every morning.

"I told you to always ready your clothes the night before. Look at you, you look like a mess, sis." Her hair is out of place, looking like a giant nest.

"Whatever, you're not a stylist" she rolled her eyes on me. I laughed

"But I can be one. Let's start with you." I went to her closet and get a beautiful white dress. Not too feminine, not too revealing.

"Not that one." I mentally rolled my eyes. Jisoo is perfect, her profiles are perfect. People told us that we look like twins. I can see that. People who don't know our personalities can't distinguish me and Jisoo. We have the same manner on how we act, how we speak. As per physical description, We have mom's squishy cheekbones and lips, dad's brown eyes, his nose. My mom is a model, a fashion designer that's why she get us into modeling when we were younger but I'm an introvert and so as my sister. We declined every offer as we're not into that kind of life, we're awkward and clumsy under people's stares.

"How about this?" I show her a black skirt and a white blouse.

"Rosie, we're different. I prefer jeans than skirts."

"Then you should change your style sometimes."

She shakes her head " I don't like change."

I rolled my eyes "Fine. Whatever works for you. I'll wait for you downstairs." I give up, my sister is stubborn, you won't win any argument.

I heard my parents are talking about Shey Lee. Good thing Aunt Dahee went home last night. Something has been shaken and stirred within me. It's not that I can't trust my family, I trust them even more. Weirdly, I can't trust myself.

I stop and stare at my mom. Her full attention is on the TV now. She's watching Report 7/24, and Mila is reporting live from Seoul Citadel. Mila is the reporter and journalist for The Society, she interviews and writes extreme detail of the Failures during the trial and after. She's vicious, fearless, a lot of people adore her.

"This case has has garnered more attention." Mila said looking straight to the lens, her eyes not blinking. She is wearing blue, suits her fair skin tone. She's a barbie with a glossy hair, innocent petite face. "Shey Lee traveled abroad to perform an abortion which we all know it is deemed to be morally wrong in this country." She paused for a while "Judge Kim and her 2 associates decided that Shey Lee is a Failure. I repeat, breaking news: Shey Lee is found to have a flawed character. She is a Failure."

I gasp. I knew it. I knew that she has no chance but my heart aches for her. My mom stands up and pace back and forth.

"That can't be. She can't be branded" her face looks pained.

"Dahee is not being fair. She has to take back her decision, Shey is not a failure." Her voice cracks, she's crying.

"Go to school, kids" Mom says warily but she hugs my sister and kissed her head. "Don't talk like that to your Aunt. You don't want to be one of the Failures." Mom threatened.

"I'm not scared."

"I think you should be" I finally had the courage to say. We're not safe.