Who's Better Leader?

Jin drives Kate, Nikki, Jennie and Louis back to Professor Arc's mansion, where they are all hiding. I have visions of Ella in a pink bedroom of her own, brushing a doll's hair, and even if it's not true, I want her to be somewhere where she feels free.

I know Alpha will give her the best life she can. But Lisa and I aren't safe yet. The van stops in what seems to be the middle of nowhere, at a row of shops. It's late and they're all shut, apart from a Chinese takeout.

"Just me and you," Lisa says, sliding the van door open, checking left and right before hopping out. I would quite happily go back to Alpha's house, have a bath, eat, sleep, and pretend none of this has happened, but it's gone too far for that.

Jisoo has taken my place. The clock is ticking. I have to do as much as I can before they realize she's not me.

"Good luck," Kate says, I hug them before sliding the door shut. And as quickly as that, Lisa and I are on our own again. Citadel Barracks was out of the city; Jin and Kate brought us to the outskirts, the suburbs.

Lisa is holding me up again. I look around for someplace to hide, not that it matters much at the moment, as we're on a relatively quiet backstreet and the sun is down. It is easier to hide under the cover of darkness, but harder after curfew, when checkpoints are raised, and curfew is not far off.

"What now?" I ask. She looks at the palm of her hand as if she's reading something.

"Rescue Roseanne Park, the most beautiful woman in the world. Tick." I laugh in surprise, not expecting this from her.

"Next. Say sorry." She looks at me, swallows her pride. "Sorry. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about Nina Choi, but please know that my intentions were good. Everything that I've done has been for the good of the Failure cause, for you and for me. I never wanted to hurt you. None of this has been a trick. I'm just doing all that I can."

Her heart is true. I know this and I don't want to fight with her anymore. Still, no harm in letting her stew in it for a while. I wait for more from her.

"I thought that saving your life would show you how sorry I am, you know, so we wouldn't have to do the talking thing," she says, biting her lip to hide her cheeky smile.

"Um, you actually didn't save my life. They were going to do a skin graft, not kill me. But I appreciate being rescued all the same."

"Nothing's good enough for you," she says, amused. I hold my hand out to her chest, palm against her brand.

"You are. I wanted to blame somebody for all this. Someone other than my stupid self. I love my family, I never wanted to leave them. I'm not used to being by myself; it's easier when it's somebody else's fault."

I think of Jisoo alone in the hospital and I shudder. Have they discovered that she's not me yet? I hope the plan holds firm and that Jessica can help to make it work. I know I won't be able to relax until I know that both my mom and Jisoo are safe.

"And I'm only ever used to being by myself," she says. "I'm sorry," she whispers, holding me tighter, "for what happened at the supermarket, for leaving you in the mountains. But if it's any consolation, I followed you the whole way. And you were driving way too fast down the mountain in that Mini, by the way."

"I was on a mission."

"I heard you with Dahee." I look down, embarrassed that my rogue plan didn't work.