The Dangerous Whistleblower

I go outside of our house, and the media look at me in shock. One photographer actually freezes with his burger halfway to his mouth. It is the first time since I was branded to use the main door, I usually pass through the garage as we fear that the media might swarm us. Even after my solo visit at Mrs. Lucia Fern's grave, I'd call mom to pick me up. After being beside her with worry and anger, she never fails to understand me, saying that it was a good step for me to make in my life.

Mom has appeared on online sites these last few days, she is more than pleasant to look and refuses to have a bad day, so the media keeps coming back for more, her wardrobes being analyzed everyday, with captions under the photos "Anne Park, La Nueva Fashionista".

There is a stunned pause after the press all look at me, and I take that as an advantage to take off the driveway. But unfortunately, they all fumble for their cameras and microphones to chase me. Now, I'm surrounded, having a hard time to walk as they flashes behind me and block my path. I heard some people shouting "give the girl a space!". I run away.

Ben Lee opens the door and he looks much older than the last time I saw him. It's crazy how in a short span of time, his face changed .

"Roseanne, Lara is out. What are you doing here?"

"I'm not here to see Lara. I'm here for my guitar lessons"

He frowns

"It's Thursday" I explain "I always have guitar lessons on Thursdays"

"She hasn't" his voice cracks "she hasn't played since-"

"She should" I cut him off

"She thinks it damaged her hands. That she can't play anymore"

"Can you tell here I'm here?"

He thinks for a little bit. "You can wait in the music room."

I begin playing Jesu bleibet meine Freude by Bach. I can hear the rise and fall of Ben and Shey's tones as they talk down the corridor. I continue playing and I play it better than I've played it before. I play it from ny memory. I amit I hated guitar lessons before, it was always that stopped me from seeing my friends, and then practice was something that stopped me from watching Tv or going out. It was always an obstruction, I was always asked to play for everyone, and that used to bother me becausd I'm a perfectionist, I wouldn't be able to relax until my piece is over. And if I made a mistake, it was something that tarnished my confidence. I always play for everyone but not for myself. I never had thr opportunity but it all changes this moment. I play for myself, getting lost in my head as I strum the guitar.

When I open my eyes, I see Shey standing at the open door , head to toe black. Shd stands at the door listening to me so I continue playing. Then she slowly come near me
I feel her sit beside me. Beb stands on the door with a smile on his face.

When I'm finished, I look at her, tears stream down her face.

"Can you play for me?" I whisper

She shakes her head. I look down at her hands once again covered by the black gloves. I slowly reached out and take her hand in mine. She doesn't protest and so I slowly bring her hand to the guitar. At this moment, it feels I become her teacher, I teach her the things that she used to teach me.

She sits there, perfect posture as she always used to. Her fingers start to move slowly over the strings.

"You can do it. I know you can" I say encouragingly

She lifts her hand gracefully and I'm waiting, holding my breath and finally she strums the guitar. Playing the same piece that I played a while ago.