The Foolish

I look at George nervously. He shares a similar look. We just went from advantage to disadvantage. We are in a precarious position.

Ramirez wanted Kim out, not to bring an end to the Society. This gives her reason to be the cat and me the mouse once again.

George clears his throat. "So this gives us the opportunity to make a deal."

Ramirez' head snaps around to him so fast. "Are you threatening me?"

"Are you threatening my client?" he replies coolly.

Her forehead wrinkles a little.

"Judge Ramirez, the game hasn't changed here. We brought you what you wanted, but this doesn't have to go public. You can use the video in any way you want to discredit Dahee. You're still in control here. All that needs to happen is that Dahee's actions are found to be not in keeping with Society's rules and she is discharged. And my client's verdict is therefore overturned."

She's thinking hard.

"But Dahee will know I won't want anyone to see this. I have nothing on her. I was part of the judging committee that allowed this to happen. Whether I knew about it or not, I am also responsible. It will fall to all three Society judges—me, Fuentes, and Kim—to take responsibility."

"Not if you bring it to light. You get to make the first move," George says.

"We have her," I say, hearing the tremor in my voice.

"What I have, Roseanne"—she looks at me—"is you. And Dahee is looking for you."

"You're going to use me to get what you want," I say.

"This is preposterous," George, jumping down from his seat. "This is unethical, immoral, unprincipled, and below the very laws that the Society practices. I'll fight you on this all the way" George says.

"There is an inquiry into Dahee already. This is the beginning of the end for the Society. You need to choose whose side you're on. That of the survivors, or the sinking ship." He continues.

"You're right. I'm a survivor." Ramirez says.

George looks relieved.

"It's just a shame I see your cause as the sinking ship. It will be very difficult for you to fight this all the way, George, when you're being held by the Society for aiding a Failure."

This bitch is getting on my nerve.

"George is my lawyer. He cannot be seen as aiding a Failure. We signed a contract."

"Representing a Deviant."

George is shaking his head, a big smile on his face, as though finding the dismal situation hilarious.

He looks at me. "Come on, Roseanne, this is merely a waste of time. let's get out of here."

"I'm afraid I'm not going to let you leave." She picks up the phone. "Grace, it's me. Get Dahee on the phone immediately."

I rush for the USB, which is still in the laptop, but she grabs it from me and shoves me away. She's stronger than I thought and I fall back against the coffee table, which shatters as my elbow whacks the glass. George runs to my side.