Chapter One: Survival of The Fittest

When it comes to being a feminist, it's not about believing that one gender is superior to the other, it is about believing in equality... But as an independent woman existing in this modern world alongside those that are believed to be the physically stronger of both sexes... It's all about survival of the fittest.

Imagine that you are in a desert with your best friend and you both spot a cool glass of water at the exact same time. Bear in mind that you are both so damn thirsty... I mean if you don't drink that water you could die! That's how thirsty you are!

So, what do you do? Do you share it? Maybe offer it to your best friend first?
Now, picture yourself sitting in a bar in the middle of New York City, sipping beers with Adam Chambers.

Adam is African American, also thirty years of age... and unfortunately, he is sexy as hell, but well and truly gay! Oh and that glass of water that could save your life is a Chris Hemsworth look alike.

Well, this handsome guy, with godlike qualities is standing at the bar gazing in the direction of you and Adam. He isn't exactly looking at either one of you... But you get the point. That is the moment when life becomes survival of the fittest.

"He's most definitely into men," Adam tells me as he drinks down the last mouthful of his beer.

"I don't believe you," I argue, as always.

"Of course you don't, your gaydar has never been on point," he replies casually. "He's been watchin' the security guard by the door for the past ten minutes... He clearly likes men with muscle."

I smirk, catching Adam's bluff. He doesn't know for sure. For all we know, the guy could be waiting for somebody.

"Well, there's only one way to find out," I say. I get to my feet, adjusting my short purple dress which until now, has been riding up my thighs. I pick up my purse, flick my long brown hair from my face and march toward the direction of the bar without giving Adam a second glance. I stand only a few feet away from the tall glass of water of a man.

The vocalist's voice from the live band is even louder from here. He doesn't sound too bad, but unfortunately, when the bartender approaches me, he is so loud that I have to yell to order my drink.

"Another beer, please?" I call out to the blonde perky bartender in the black shirt.
As she goes to retrieve my drink I turn to the handsome stranger letting slip a loud though casual "Hi," as my eyes prepare to lock onto his.

The sheer horror that I feel to see that he is no longer standing there and that I have just made a complete fool of myself in a public place, is enough to send me heading for the hills.

Instead, I find that in the time it has taken me to approach the bar, he has gone over to my table... he is currently flirting with Adam as we speak.

"Miss? Here's your drink!" the young bartender's voice captures my attention. I turn back to the bar in a huff, pay for my glass and take a long satisfying mouthful as I slump down on the bar stool.

I feel the vibration of my phone from in my coat pocket. I refuse to answer it, knowing that it would just be my best friend providing me with both an 'I-told-you-so' as well as a play-by-play of their current conversation.

I rest my elbows on the bar and take another sip from my beer glass. Beside me, someone orders a drink and then adds. "Her next drink is on me."

Before I can determine just who he was referring to, another glass of beer is sitting beside my half-full beverage. I look up at the man who had just ordered my next drink. The lead vocalist from the band. Short dark hair and crystal blue eyes. Very nice lips, might I add.