Chapter Four: Side Characters & Their Stories

When we are going through the pitfalls of our own lives, sometimes we forget to remember that we are not the only characters in our story.

There are those sub-characters and side characters that unfortunately have to contend with their own dramas too. These side characters are our friends, family and whoever else may play parts in our story.

Do you remember the Rockstar from this morning and unforgettably, last night? Yeah well, even he has his own side story, as you are about to witness...

I am walking home from the place that I can no longer call my place of employment, the rain has stopped and I am looking like a drowned rat. I always envisioned quitting the way that I did a little differently.

Surely, feeling like a grade A loser and being sexually harassed was not on that list, for one thing. But, after a day like today, there is nothing that I want to do more than curl up on my couch with a blanket, a bowl full of ice cream, Zachary Binks, and Netflix.

Though, the fact that it is not even two o'clock in the afternoon and there is someone familiar sitting on the sidewalk indicates that drowning my sorrows just isn't in the cards for me.

Nonetheless, a girl can try, right? I attempt to sneak past the man sitting on my sidewalk and creep up the steps. But this guy must have eyes in the back of his head or something because he sees me the minute my hand is resting on the door handle.

"Hey!" he calls out, putting his hand on my shoulder. I turn to face him and speak as casually as I can.

"Rockstar! What are you doing here?"

"Jaime!" he says.

"What?" I ask, confused.

He sighs and corrects me. "My name is Jaime."

"Whatever!" I say, hoping that he will get the hint that whoever he is, is very low on my list of concerns right now. I go to turn back to the door, but he speaks to me again.

"I'm sorry, I can't go..."

"What? Why?" I ask, entirely confused.

"I left my wallet in your apartment this morning when you kicked me out," he replies.

To add to my midday disappointments, I can add acting like a big jerk to that list. I hunch my shoulders in defeat and open the door, leading him back up to my apartment. Though, before I allow him passage, I warn him.

"No funny business... Okay? I'm really not in the mood!"

"Duly noted," he replies as he sets to work searching for his wallet. Instead of helping him, I raid my fridge, find a beer and sit down on my couch to drink it.

"Rough day at work?" he calls out to me. I try to ignore him as I turn on my television.

He doesn't take the hint, instead, he sits down beside me and says: "I didn't even get to go into work this morning. I was waiting for a beautiful girl to arrive home, so I could retrieve my wallet." He shows me the wallet in his hand.

"Sure! That's just your go-to excuse," I say bluntly, not taking my eyes off the screen. I take another sip of my beer.

"No, actually It's not. I should be at work right now... fortunately, I had someone cover for me. It's probably a good thing that I did... Because right now, you look like you need a friend."

"You're wrong," I say. "I don't need a friend. Right now I need to be left alone! So, take the hint and go away."

"You don't need a friend?"

"Nope! I have Zachary Binks!"

He turns to look over at my cat who is standing next to the coffee table and then back at me. "Sure, the cat," he mumbles. "If that's the case, then explain to me why just last night you told me that you work a nine-to-five job, you left in a blue Audi this morning... you smell like barf and room deodorizer and you walked home, clearly in the rain at only two o'clock in the afternoon!"