Chapter Three: When it Rains, it Pours!

So, this leads us to chapter three of my story. When it rains, it pours... Which is exactly what is happening in this chapter. Queue the rain? Not yet? Okay... Maybe soon then...

So, I ended the last chapter with myself standing in sheer embarrassment. I freaked out at a sexy rockstar whose only crimes were providing me with brilliant sex, being absolutely gorgeous and being a very talented musician.

I was late for work, but I still went to my former favorite coffee place where some arrogant Hipster Blues Brother pushed in front of me in the line... So in response, I vomited on him and other line members... Hey, at least they backed off.

And then, I had my car towed away, for parking in a spot that the council should have deemed a viable parking spot. Which meant that I had to slowly walk to work, covered in vomit and thoroughly exhausted.

That led me to be two-and-a-half hours late for work. Three hours if you count the time that it took me to clean the vomit off my clothes and spray myself with room deodorizer to mask the stench.

So now, I'm sitting at my desk staring blankly at the client file in front of me and drinking instant coffee that tastes like crap... But, I can't complain, because at least it contains caffeine!

Once again, I feel my phone vibrate from in my pocket. But for once, after the morning I have had, I pull it out to see that I have a message from Adam. Ah, Adam... My savior from my current hell!

He is still waiting for an explanation for the rockstar that he saw leaving my apartment. I am close to tears and as I press reply, I know that my answer would be better suited to a phone call. So instead, I call him.

"Hey, Nic, are you okay?" he asks. I will not cry. I will not! I am a strong independent woman and I will not cry!

I cry to Adam on the phone and amidst my loud sobbing I tell him everything in pure detail starting from my steamy escapade with the rockstar, to my crazy outburst this morning that he witnessed in my apartment, to that jerk pushing in line, to the entire café bearing witness to the contents of my stomach, to my car being towed away... everything, up until now!

I guess that I am very fortunate that Adam picked up a job as a high school counselor as well as my best friend because that entire outburst felt as if I had a weight lifted from my shoulders.

I sigh, and then I add. "I don't even think this coffee has caffeine in it. God, I hope those drones didn't switch us to decaf."

"Actually the boss chose to switch to decaf!" a voice that most definitely is not Adam replies. I look up in fear, still clutching the phone to my ear to see just who has spoken. To my horror, my boss is standing in the doorway.

Arthur Clark, he didn't get to head of his division for playing nice, or so he keeps telling everybody. He is a middle-aged businessman who takes everything seriously. He has no time for emotional breakdowns or any sort of drama in his business... Sure, we'll go with that, for now! Dirtbag!

In his defense, seriousness is a brilliant work ethic. But, one has to wonder if he even has a still-beating heart in his chest, or if it was replaced with something artificial.

I get to attention like a soldier and attempt to pull on the best charade, speaking into my phone. "Yes, Mrs. Patel. I will send that report through immediately," I say.

Arthur Clark doesn't break eye contact with me, which means I am in trouble. At that moment, I wonder just how much of my conversation has he heard. I forget that Adam is on the other end of my phone call.

He can clearly imagine the scene that is presently unfolding in my office. I hear him whisper: "Love you, Nicky... talk later, bye!"

I reply with, "Okay, goodbye... Mrs... Patel." I slowly pull my phone from my ear and set it down on my desk as I await the lecture that is about to spew from my boss's mouth, as last night's beer did from mine earlier.