Chapter Eighteen: Never Make Assumptions

It's time to fast-track roughly five months into the future from my mother's funeral. Don't worry, I'll give you the rundown of what has happened in the meantime.

Do you remember that conversation that I had with both my father and Adam about getting into an inspiring career? Well, I'd like to say that I am on my way to achieving it.

I have gone back to school to study psychology, I also started writing a book and I created a motivational Youtube channel. Gotta love the internet!

In the meantime, a girl's gotta make a little money, right? I used Doreen and Bob as references and I am now working at a Starbucks back in New York City.

Adam and I were lucky enough to move into a building where, once again, we are neighbors... Oh and Matt moved in with him! They are absolutely perfect together... Plus, Matt isn't the kind of guy to make me feel like a third wheel, in fact, he's pretty cool.

We check in with my dad as often as we can and he is doing pretty well, given the circumstances. My life is going well if I do say so myself.

Was there anything that I am missing? Oh, that's right. Jaime! He called me about a month ago and asked if I wanted to go on the stand to testify against Arthur Clark. Of course, I said 'yes.'

As I mentioned earlier, there were a few claims against Arthur dating back for years but nothing was ever done... I guess that's what happens when you have the money to pay people to sweep these things under the rug.

Anyway, nothing was done about Arthur until my little venting session with Jaime, that is. While I am thankful to Jaime for helping me out, we are both clear that there will be no more bedroom activities between us.

There is one thing that I am forgetting to mention... The situation with Luis and I. Well at this point in my story, I am still single, if that's what you want to know. But, do you want to know something? I am actually okay with it.

Don't pity me. Because the way I see it is that it's not our time just yet! Even if he could be my perfect match. 

I believe that if we want to succeed in a relationship, we need to both be the best versions of our selves.

Don't get me wrong, Luis and I speak on the phone every damn day. But, he travels a lot and I am here in New York City studying and working. 

I barely have enough time for myself. Well, I think that is enough of a recap, for now, I'll get back to the story.

It's nine pm on a Wednesday night and I am sitting at my kitchen table with my laptop studying. My phone is sitting beside me as my caller is on speaker phone.

"My brain just isn't working properly, tonight," I say with a large yawn. "This assignment is due tomorrow and I just can't think. Remind me why I decided to go back to school?"

"Because you wanted to change your life around," Luis replies. 

Yes, I'm speaking to him, and for the record, tonight was his night to call. 

"...Because you needed a challenge," he continues. "Do you realize that we have been chatting to one another for two hours now? You'll never finish that assignment if we keep this up."

His voice sounds so tired and just so soothing.

"Yeah, I get it. We should probably say goodbye and then I should drink some coffee and focus," I reply.

"That's probably a good idea. Have you had dinner?"

I grow silent and he knows by my silence that I haven't had dinner. In fact, I was at school all day, then I worked and I have only been home for the past three hours.