Chapter Fifteen: Fight and Flight

In the last chapter, I gave up a spoiler for this chapter... So sue me, no please don't! I was kidding! 

Please don't sue me! I have enough trauma going on in this brief chapter that I don't need the added stress. Let me explain!

So, I told you that I took Jaime up on his offer to take me on a non-date. It was a pretty amazing night, we went back to my motel room and we slept together.

The spoiler was... that we were busted by Luis! The man who I quite literally left standing in the parking lot in a bid to fix myself. Because I believed him to be perfect for the non-screwed up version of myself.

But I never told you the events that led up to us getting caught, nor did I tell you how the situation played out. I'll skip past the details of mine and Jaime's wild night and fast-forward to when we were laying side-by-side breathless at roughly five in the morning.

"So when's the next date?" Jaime asks me with sheer confidence.

"You're cocky!" I say as I turn to face him. But after that performance, I guess that he has a right to be a little egotistical.

"Well, you did say that you wanted me to convince you and judging by your performance back there, I am pretty sure that I managed to convince you."

I sigh at just how right he is. "Yeah, but I left the city because I needed to get my head screwed on. I needed to start anew, I haven't even spoken to Adam since I left."

He strokes my fringe from my face and kisses me on the forehead. "Running away doesn't solve anything. Neither does closing yourself off to everybody. How do you not see that?"

Damn this guy is right. But he doesn't stop there with his wisdom.

"Nicky, I didn't help you because I wanted something from you... I helped you because your boss was a dirtbag who took advantage of his position. He lost his job and he was charged! He deserved it! I got your car out of the impound lot because I've been where you are. Sometimes life just sucks!"

Maybe it is the fact that he succeeded in lifting my spirits, or maybe it was because I was finally in the right situation to see things from his perspective, but I actually believed him. I actually listened. But come on, he was still only giving me a half-truth.

"...Let's face it," I say. "You also did it because you wanted another reason to see me. You just wanted to sleep with me again."

He stifles a sexy chuckle and I have to brace myself not to mount him again.
"Now who's being cocky?" he asks.

I sigh and say: "But, I was honest when I told you that I needed to get things straightened out. While this is all good and well, it doesn't mean that we are an item. I need you to understand that."

Jaime glances down at the blanket and then back at me. Frustration is written all over his face. "So, that's it? We sleep together a couple of times and leave it at that? You can't think that that's what I want."

The guilt that I am feeling is so high at that moment that I can barely think up the right words to use. But, I go with: "Jaime, I'm sorry. But my mind..."

There is a knock at the door that makes me stop talking. As Jaime stays in the bed I climb out in search for my clothes.

"Just a minute!" I call out to whoever is standing outside the door. I dress quickly, adjust my hair and open the door.

For a split second, I am ecstatic to see the smiling face of the man who is standing outside my door. But then my happiness instantly fades as I remember Jaime laying in the bed waiting for me.