Chapter Twenty-Two: Broken Wings

(((I do not condone the abuse and offensive language in this chapter. It is merely the opinion of the characters. My message behind this chapter is that bullying, racism, and discrimination of any kind is NEVER okay!))) 

So I guess that it's time for another flashback, right? Relax, this one is important. We'll get back to the story in a minute!

There is a reason that we all become these twisted screwed up versions of ourselves. There are reasons behind our crazy antics, our nervousness, our built up aggression, and those reasons come down to nature versus nurture.

Sure, I have mentioned that it was hard for Adam coming out as gay. I have mentioned that Luis's parents were separated. Hell, you've even seen me dribble on about women being equal to men.

But there are reasons behind all of that and it all comes down to how we learn to deal with our problems in our youth. Sure, we can go through therapy as adults... but, then the damage has already been done!

It's about how we assert ourselves in certain situations. It's about the person that we are when nobody is looking. It is about those people who stand by us when we need them. All of these things add to our inner strengths. They push us to be the people that we grow up to be.

But at the same time, unfortunately, it's also about our adversaries. This chapter will be a little different. It's tackling some hard issues that we had to face in our high school days.

It will be going back to a time where Harry Potter was first turned into a movie, alongside The Lord of the Rings movies. Back when Beyoncé was part of a kickass girl band singing about survival. Not to mention, the early days of Eminem!

It was even before social media! Yes, that's right, there was a time before social media and touch screens! Let me take you back to our high school days and to one situation in particular.

The time when Adam and I were sitting in the high school cafeteria, about a week after I had learned that he was gay. I was the first kid for him to come out to because I had very boldly asked him out and he had very shyly said 'no'.

This particular time, I was observing him as he was gazing over at the 'coolest' kid in school, AJ. I recognize the expression that Adam is pulling because I have actually pulled that face a few times too. That face that is filled with pure lust.

"Adam, do you have a crush?" I ask him quietly.

"No, don't be silly."

"Naw, you do! That's so cute! But how could it be AJ? He's such a jerk."

"Don't make fun! We all have our tastes... Besides, I know someone who likes you. He's actually really sweet. I think you might like him..." Adam teases.

I shake my head. Personally, I'm still a little heartbroken that Adam turned me down.

"I don't need a boyfriend. Destiny's Child had it right. I'm a survivor!" I tell him adamantly.

"Hey, what you lookin' at?" I hear AJ yell at Adam from across the cafeteria. It is that kind of tone where you know that he is going to start trouble. I look at Adam and he looks at me. None of us speak a word, for fear of saying the wrong thing.

The embarrassment on Adam's face is heartbreaking. He has become quite used to bullying because of the color of his skin, but he has just been caught staring at a boy that he has a crush on.

He is gay... and being gay... well, aside from Ricky Martin and George Michael, is not something that should be spoken about out loud.

"N-nothing!" Adam stammers as he maintains his eye contact with me. I take hold of his hand. It's the first thing that I can even think of doing. Because, if they think that we are dating, then nobody can say that he is into boys and it won't start any trouble! We don't need any trouble!