Chapter Twenty-Three: Together at last... or is it?

It's time to bring you back to the present moment after that deep chapter. So, recap. Adam asked me to be the mother of his baby, sure he doesn't mean now... But, he felt it important to give me notice and I agreed to it.

Luis and I are at a crossroad in our fake/non-fake relationship. I also made an embarrassment out of myself by randomly stripping down to my birthday suit in an attempt to seduce him.

Then I told him about my plan to be Adam's baby mama. Luis got mad, then he kissed me and then he left... and when I went to bed, once again, naked... I was alerted to a burglar breaking into my house, which turned out to be Luis anyway.

So, back to the matter at hand! 

I swing the lamp up at the shadowy silhouette, telling him to get out of my apartment. But Luis turns around, takes hold of the lamp and announces: "Nicky, it's me, Luis!"

I freeze. "Luis? You came back?" 

We are standing in my dark living room and I am wearing only my pink bathrobe, which I pull tightly around my body for warmth.

He takes the lamp from me and I go in search of the lights. I flick them on while he takes a seat on the couch.

"Yeah, I came back," he tells me softly. As I see the made-up bed on the couch, I realize just why he was hovering around in the living room. The thought that he was still going to stay at my apartment is uplifting.

I pull my robe tighter around me and sit down beside him, waiting for him to explain just why he has returned. I am feeling very optimistic... But, this outcome could still go two different ways.

"I get it," he finally says.

"Get what?" I ask.

"I get why you want to do this thing for Adam. I drove around the city for clarity and I think that I understand, now."

"And what have you come up with?" I ask him.

He studies me as if he is trying to pick his words. "You and Adam... You guys have always been a duo. You guys are family and it makes sense that you would want to do this for him... and he loves you too. It makes sense why he would choose you."

He is not exactly telling me anything new. I know all this already. I am just waiting for him to explain to me why he got so mad about it. Nonetheless, I stay quiet and wait for him to continue.

"I shouldn't have gotten mad at you, but the truth is..." he bites down on his tongue as if to be carefully dissecting his next few words. "I think that you might be my perfect match. I have always believed that. But the thought of you wanting a baby with somebody else, well it's a lot to swallow. It means that if we are to have a future... that I would be some kind of... well, I'd be that child's stepfather!"

"Yeah, it does," I reply.

I'm not expecting him to stick around, I know that I don't actually need him to stick around, but I would love it if he did. It is far too much for him to take on. Especially, so soon.

"When is this whole thing meant to happen?"

"We haven't exactly set a specific time. So, who knows? It's just... it's something that we have promised. It's a pact sort of thing."

Luis nods, but there is optimism in his eyes as he looks at me. "...and when Adam makes a pact, he tends to keep it," he adds.

"Yeah, he does. Luis, where is this conversation even going?" I ask him. I am actually growing impatient with him. "All I'm getting is mixed signals here."

"Sorry, that's not what I am trying to do. Look, I don't want a fake relationship with you and I don't want to... what was that term you used? Fake not date? Where did that one come from?"