Chapter Eleven: Behind the Scenes

That right there... that moment was one of the few moments where my life felt like it had taken a brief pause.

Luis was nuzzled up in the bed beside me. The phone was pressed up against my ear with Jaime saying that my apartment had caught alight and that Adam was in the hospital. 

Don't forget all the other drama that had previously gone on, not to mention, my mother's coughing episode earlier that night...

Have you ever felt your entire world stop? Like the ticking of a clock that just dies as the battery runs flat? What do you say when it all comes to a screaming halt?

What do you do? Well, you don't do or say anything.

You just try to breath it through. But, let's face it... Like the ticking of a clock, your breathing has stopped too.

I really don't think that I need to recap because everything that I have told you has led me up to this point in my life where things just needed to change. 

As I lay in the bed beside Luis, listening to Jaime's explanation of the fire, I knew that I had to reevaluate my life.

Just if you're wondering, my cat was fine... He was the reason that Adam had gone into my apartment in the first place... In my eyes, Adam was a real hero! Besides, cats have nine lives, right? Well, Zachary Binks certainly has... he's immortal!

But, before I continue on with the story... Do you remember when I mentioned that side-characters have stories too? You do? Oh, good! That saves the reminder.

Because this chapter is all about my side characters... It's about Adam, Jaime and yes, a little bit about Luis too.

Let's start with Adam. You already know that he has been my best friend since high school and you know that he was the one who devised this entire fake dating plan.

My parents have loved Adam like a son since the day that I first invited him into their lives back in high school. But they were never able to move past him having the same interests in romantic partners as I.

But, that was only part of the reason that he devised the plan... But I will get to the other part later! You see, my parents aren't exactly racist. But they are very narrow-minded on sexuality!

My mother are not all that familiar the LGBT movement. They also believe that a single woman should be a little more... conservative. One night stands are highly frowned upon and masturbation is another skeleton in the closet... That should never be spoken of!

Which, in this day and age is a very back-dated notion. At the same time, my parents have always held that expectation that I should be somebody's doting trophy wife by the time that I turned thirty... which surprise, surprise, is not the case.

Boy, if they knew the full extent of mine and Adam's choice of lifestyle, they would be very horrified! 

Maybe it's because I am their only daughter and Adam is my best friend, seemingly my only possible relationship with a member of the opposite sex... It could also be because of the generation that they grew up in...

Still, in the grand scheme of things it made both Adam and I feel like shit! Sometimes I wonder how I actually came from their loins... Low and behold, that is the reason why Adam devised his plan.

He also told Luis that I would never go through with the plan if I knew that he was straight. I get why he said it, and while he might've been correct, it still didn't give either one of them the right to lie to me... So, Adam led me to believe that Luis was gay. Period!

Personally, I believe that this was Adam's psycho way of playing matchmaker. It will make more sense to you as to why the further you read on, I can assure you. I really should have seen the clues... But I didn't. You see, Luis and Adam have always been friends.