Amber's Dilemma

Chapter 1

It was a cloudy day outside. Amber had just gotten home from a depressing day at school. She had been having constant flashbacks all day about what happened over a year ago. The main things she remembered were being forced to stick arrows through obsessive men's necks, almost getting raped over and over again, and coming face to face with a homicidal bear. As she sat on her bed, she felt a cold feeling embrace her, despite the fact that she was in her warm bedroom.

Mrs. Samuel: (walks in the room) Amber? You doing okay?

Amber: (shakes her head "no")

Mrs. Samuel: Alright girl what's wrong with you? You a lot quieter than you used to be.

Amber: I don't wanna talk about it.

Mrs. Samuel: Well if this keeps up we might have to take you to see a therapist.

Amber: No! Mama I don't need to see a therapist!

Mrs. Samuel: Well considering how since you came home with them bow and arrows and you been acting all strange, it seems like the only thing I can do because you won't talk to me. I ain't even heard you talk to Chris as much as you used to. I thought y'all broke up at first.

Amber: No we still together, I just ain't felt like talkin' as much.

Mrs. Samuel: Well Amber you used to talk all the time so something must've happened to you that you ain't tellin' me about.

Amber: It's nothing Mama. It ain't that big a deal.

Mrs. Samuel: Well apparently it is since you stopped actin' like yourself.

Amber: Well Mama I really don't think I need a therapist!

Mrs. Samuel: And why not? He can probably tell you some' you need to hear so you can stop actin' like something's bothering the mess outta you!

Amber: Mama therapists don't do none but tell you stuff you already know that you could probably figure out yourself! And it's really expensive and none of us like to spend money so we might as well just not worry 'bout it.

Mrs. Samuel: But Amber, you been like this for a year now. And I'm sick of seeing you like this. Now we either gon' take you to see a therapist, or you can just sit in here and be miserable and never know why.

Amber: Fine. I'll go. But I still think it's a waste of money.

Mrs. Samuel: Well we gon' see when we get there now come on. And bring a jacket. It looks like it might rain sometime today.

Amber put on the blue hoody that I gave her and picked up her green compound bow and metal and wooden arrows. She was too scared to go anywhere without them. The only reason she didn't bring them to school was because of firearm regulations.

Mrs. Samuel: Where you think you goin' with them arrows girl?

Amber: I'm not going anywhere but school without 'em. So let's go.

Mrs. Samuel: Lord, what has gotten into my child?

Amber and her mom then set off for the hospital. The whole trip, Amber stayed quiet. She didn't say a word. When they got to the hospital, Amber's mom checked her in for a visit to the therapist. About 5 minutes later, Amber was called by Dr. Stan Durant when he came in the lobby. He was mixed with African American, European, and Mexican American, and he was only in his early 50's of age. He showed Amber to her room. It was like a regular check up office, only with a couch to lay on instead of a recumbent chair, and books instead of check up equipment. Amber's mind was still cluttered with recurring flashbacks of the dark experiences she had, and she couldn't help but sit straight up on the couch with her hoody still on, holding herself as if she was scared.