You snooze; you lose!

"Are you sure you don't want to come to the party?" Hannah asks for the hundredth time, and I don't even bother replying. I have the assignment to complete, and I don't like groups of people. They scare me, don't ask me why.

She slips on her red heels and leaves. I get back to my project.

Halfway through reading my final draft, I pick up my phone. Next thing I know I am on Instagram looking at the picture of Hannah and Mathew pouting. They are having a fun time without me. I feel a pang of jealousy, but I ignore it. I decided to stay home and work. I consciously chose not to go out tonight, or any night this semester. I scroll through Hannah's feed, and I can see pictures of her living it up. She's had a great college life, and I know what they say about social media being a lie and all. Of course, she has had her strings of rough patches and fucked up relationships, but at least she put herself out there. I haven't had anything majorly good or bad happen to me in college, except getting a C in my math class. That was devastating. 

Holy fuck, I haven't had anything exciting happen to me in college. For the past four years, I haven't done anything remotely electrifying. I am the definition of boring. My life is monotonous and the highlight of my semester was getting an A in media law. Which is pretty cool actually, if knew the average. (Hint: It was a C).

It is 9: 15 p.m. on the last Friday night of my college career. I am in my pajamas from last night, sitting on my bed alone and doing my homework.

I feel bad for myself. 

I almost want to submit my less than perfect assignment and just say fuck it. Even if I get a 70 on my last paper, I will still end up with an A. Not that I will get a 70 but what I mean is that the lowest I can go is an A-.

Is that worse than not going out and enjoying with my friends? I pick up my phone and text Hannah "What's the address bitch?"

I quickly grab my razor from the drawer and rush to the bathroom.

My unkempt long black hair takes its own time to dry, and I wish Hannah was here to straighten them for me. She knows all this stuff so much better than I do.

I look at my phone, and I have Snapchats from Mathew and Hannah, both sending me videos of the party. I also have 5 texts and 3 calls from Han and 2 calls from Matt. They are either really drunk or ecstatic that I am coming to the party.

I think it's a bit of both but it makes me feel better. 

Han is calling me again. I pick up the call and hear loud music and her trying to scream something over it. I cut the call and try to catch the towel falling from my head. I fail, long hair is so annoying. I let out a loud groan. 

My phone buzzes 3 times in quick succession.

"Where are you?"

"Plsssssss comeeeeeeeeeee."

"ILY :*."

I reply with "What do I wear?"

Technically I have a lot of clothes, but since I don't turn up a lot, I don't have a lot of fancy clothes. I quickly wear my comfy old t-shirt. A big part of me wants to crawl back in bed. 

My phone buzzes again, and I don't know why Han is trying to call me when she knows I can't hear a word. 

"Hello," I say, frustrated. Maybe this is a bad idea. I could always stay in and watch something on Netflix. Oooh, the new show... 

"Can you hear me?" She says and miraculously I can, the music is lower in the background.

"I can. Did you walk out of the party?" I know she did. Only a best friend would do this.

"Yup. Why don't you wear my red dress? It's still on my bed I think." This is big, and although I am touched, I really don't want to take her most prized possession.

"I don't think so." 

"Mia, I insist. You will look fucking gorgeous in it."

"Em isn't even allowed to touch it." I remind her. Emily is her little sister and my third favorite person in the world.

"Emily is a fucking snob. She needs to get her own clothes and stop stealing from me. Do you remember the leather jacket I couldn't find for months in the fall?" She yells at the top of her lungs and I think if I disconnect the call, I can probably still hear her from miles away. I swear I have heard this story multiple times not just from her but from Em and even her mother. It's just a goddamn jacket for Christ's sake. 

"I know Han; she had it. She's your little sister, get over it. I'll try the red dress and let you know." I don't want to hear drunk Han moan about Em, they are going through some trivial drama right now.

"Okay. Love you so much." She says, and I cut the call. She is super drunk.

My legs feel smooth, and I look at myself in the mirror before taking off my extra-large teeshirt and throwing it on the floor. There was a time the black teeshirt hugged every inch of my body, but now it engulfs me. I have lost almost 80 pounds since high school, and there are times when even I can't believe, this is how I look.

Staring at my naked self-doesn't make me cringe anymore. I despised the way I looked back then, and even though I am nothing compared to the models in the magazine, I can almost stand the way I look now. I slip on the red strapless dress, and it is stunning. The dress is making me like 10x times hotter than I usually am. No wonder Hannah loves it so much. It hugs my curves, which until 1 minute ago I had no idea I even had. My ass looks round and given how much I squat; I am almost glad. It has an inbuilt push-up bra that makes me look bustier than I am. Whoever sees me outside of this dress will be very disappointed.

I apply some concealer and blend it out, following it up with some powder. If Jeffery Star was watching me right now, he would be proud. Everything I know about makeup, I know because of him and his tutorials.

I apply some blush, mascara and the classic, red lipstick.

My phone buzzes, and it's Han telling me to borrow some highlighter from her makeup bag and to hurry up. I apply some of her gold highlighter to my cheekbones, and even though it is too dark on my pale skin, I go for it. Nobody will be able to tell in the darkness of the frat. I take some highlighter on the brush and swirl it on my collar bones and shoulders. I am glowing for the gods tonight, and I like it.

I call an Uber and head to Alpha Delta Alpha. On my way to the Uber I get a text from Hannah saying "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHO IS HERE!"

If you enjoy reading my work, don't forget to vote on it. If you want to give me any feedback/ constructive criticism, leave me a comment.
I update regularly, so make sure you are following me to keep up with the story.