Nate Happening

I send Emily my article, say a prayer and cross my fingers, hoping for the best. My watch tells me it's almost 1, so I make my way to the lobby where Nate is waiting for me. I spot him at the end of the escalator. He is wearing ripped blue jeans and black tee-shirt with a V neck that exposes his pecs. He is hot—in a cool California beach boy way. Nate looks up from his phone as I approach him and I am met with an immediate goofy-nose-scrunching and almost eye closing grin. I return the infectious Nate grin, how can a girl not?

"Greetings new girl on the block," he says as he grabs his denim backpack from the side to walk alongside me.

"Greetings man behind the frame. Where are we off to?" I am surprisingly famished.

"How does Kuro-Obi sound?" It sounds Asian and that's it—I have no idea what cuisine it will be or if I'll like it.

"It has ramen, right?" I remember him mentioning that.

"It does."

Kuro-Obi is a cozy little arty Ramen place in the Times Square market—very artsy and hippy. The place has character and is a no-frills food joint. I eat half my bowl of ramen and with oodles of veggies and steamed tofu on it, I am not even feeling half as guilty as my portion size should make me feel. I need to run ASAP.

We chat about unimportant things— details about each other's life that probably none of us will remember as we stroll back to Substance. Since I left my phone on the counter—because I wanted it charged for my lunch—go figure—I am restless to get back to my desk. Even though I am not expecting someone specific to reach out to me, being without my phone gives me anxiety. What if...

"Don't be that girl Mia!" Inner voice interrupts my Liam inducing thought and I pause in my tracks.

"I didn't go to college because books just aren't for me... moved to New York when I was 17 to live with my dad and haven't left since. Do you like New York yet?" he asks me, interrupting my train of thoughts. Spending time with him has been like watching paint dry—painfully boring.

"Like? I love it! Although I haven't seen much of it—I love the energy about this place. Everyone is always doing something."

"And someone!" he interjects and we both giggle. That is by far the first interesting thing he has said in all of our talks.

"So, are you seeing someone?" he asks, his voice a little shaky.

"I am not sure yet—it's complicated I guess. Are you?"

"I am looking." He says unapologetically and I think it's a hint but I play dumb. We reach our office and I quickly walk towards the escalator. Nate's personality is a criminal injustice to his good looks, but Emily and I share some chuckles at his benefit.

My ramen was more interesting than him and I hate food.

I have a text from Hannah asking about my lunch but nothing else—nothing from him.

"Stop being the whinny little bitch that waits for a guy to text back Mia!" Inner bitch scolds me and I shake myself back to reality. I am not a girl who will pause her life for a guy... however sexy his abs might be.

My article is published. Hannah is ecstatic and we are having a couple of beers with the boys from our building at around 8. There is some rooftop drinking session thing, which don't ask me how—Hannah knows and is helping plan. This girl is social to another level, it's exhausting to even listen. At exactly 5:48 my phone buzzes, interrupting my next draft that I am probably never going to finalize. A letter to my ex's current girlfriend is a letter I shouldn't be writing anyway, right?

It's Liam! I jump up in my seat and then force myself to sit back down. I unlock my phone and it says "See you downstairs in 15." 

So, we are meeting today! I just—I am so glad I wore my lilac dress! My heart is fluttering in my chest and it can't be 6 soon enough.

I am a little early, waiting in the same spot I met him yesterday at and will this be a new thing in my life? Meeting Kent after work! Maybe I should offer to pay today—I don't want him to think I am in it for the money.

"In what Mia?" Inner bitch asks me and I wish I could shut her up. Her nagging questions are getting to me lately. I don't want to drive Liam away by voicing my thoughts. We need more time to become a thing and right now, I am not sure if we are enough to be something solid. I don't think he knows what we are... Friends with potential maybe?

He's here in his white Mercedes, driving himself and I wonder where is Wilson. I sit down and wait for him to finish the call he's on. I open my Instagram and stalk random women with better bodies than I will ever have.

Forget men, I use Instagram to check out booties of some fine women. I really should get a run in—I ate too much food today. Against all hopes, I can't help but wonder, did he by any chance read my article? And if he did, how will he react to it now?

Author's note

I am so sorry for my increased absence. I am exhausted and work has been crazy busy but my new year resolution (yes I am fully aware it is the 9th today) is to write one chapter every day. I mostly write on my phone in the subway. Please forgive my almost 1-month hiatus and strap on your seatbelts because Mia and Liam are on for one hell of a ride. 

Spoiler Alert: We do have some smut (is that what we are calling it now?) or rather mature content in the next chapter. So all the people who can't wait for it (READ: ME!), I'll have something for y'all early morning tomorrow. So in less than 12 hours. I've written it but just don't have the energy to edit it right now. 

Hope y'all are having a great new year. Do you guys have a resolution I would love to hear about? I can't wait to read it! Also, it will give me new ideas. 

And and and and, I know, I've missed you guys so much--Do you guys have songs you are listening to that I should be into too? I always need song inspiration to write. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. 

Thank you for understand and for loving In My Mind through it all, things are about to get interesting. 

*lighting the flame and going off to bed."