Chapter 20

After Midoriya quieted down, you were able to watch Bakugou and Uraraka's match in peace.

You could hear the murmurs of the pro-heroes watching from your seat, since they weren't very quiet. As the fight commenced and Bakugou started aiming explosions towards the brunette, they were saying things about how he was cold-hearted and ruthless for inflicting injuries on her.

You gritted your teeth in annoyance. He wasn't holding back on her because he could tell she was strong enough to take it. A lot of your classmates could tell too, and it was just pissing you off that the pro-heroes were talking like that.

As more and more rubble was collected—Uraraka had been hovering it high into the air so Bakugou wouldn't notice—your interest in the match only grew.

Eventually, the brunette pressed her fingertips together so the pads on her fingers were touching. A pink glow emanated from her hand and the rocks being the plummet downwards, shooting towards Bakugou.

But the small chance she was able to gain was sent to waste when the ash-blond blew a massive explosion from his hands, sending the debris flying away, and Uraraka with it.

She tumbled backwards, struggling to get up and continue. However, her eyes were tired and although she was pushing herself to continue, she collapsed, her consciousness fading.

"Uraraka has fainted! Bakugou wins!!!"

———

After you watched Uraraka being carried to the infirmary, you saw Shouto and Midoriya both exit at the same time, headed downstairs to prepare for their match against each other. Immediately it was clear that Shouto was still planning on using his ice and not his fire. He still had a grudge against his father, not that you could blame him. But...

"He needs to use his fire if he wants a better chance at winning..." you mumbled.

A few minutes later, both the dual-haired and green-haired boys stepped out, walking into the arena boundaries. Midoriya had a determined look on his face, while Shouto's expression was hard and cold.

"Ready?" Nemuri called out. "START!!!"

As soon as the command was given, a crackle of ice came, immediately followed by a large wave of it. The ice dispersed a moment after, with Midoriya holding his hand out, wincing ever so slightly. His middle fingers was now bent at a horrible angle, bruised and a little bloody.

As you recalled, his quirk injured his own body when used.

Another rush of ice ensued, and once again, Midoriya flicked his glowing index finger towards it, the burst of air destroying the solid.

"He only has eight more fingers left..."

Several more times came pillars of ice, shooting rapidly towards Midoriya. Eventually, he ran out of fingers, if you didn't include the fact that he couldn't flick with only his thumbs.

Midoriya seemed to also be shouting something to Shouto. Straining your ears, you did the best you could to make out what they were saying as they continued to fight with both their quirks and their fists.

All you could hear was...

"IT'S YOUR POWER, NOT HIS!!!"

A punch was sent into Shouto's lower gut, forcing him to fly back. But you could see his eyes widening as he landed, his breathing heavy.

And then came a large burst of fire from his left side, a bright, fiery mass emanating from him.

"It's strange," Shouto breathed. "You want to win, yet you're helping your opponent."

And soon enough, the match was over. Shouto had successfully pulled off another victory, although there was a large explosion at the very end due to the fact that Midoriya had matched him in power in their last attack that pushed them both back.

But the most important thing was that he finally used his left side. Denying the use of his fire was his way of 'disowning' his father. It seemed he finally had a change of heart, thanks to Midoriya's words.

'It's your power, not his.'

Such simple words, yet they helped change Shouto drastically.

He might still have doubts, but he did it.

———

"Next is Ashido and (Last Name)! START!!!"

As you faced off against the pink-skinned girl, who looked just the slightest bit nervous that she was facing against the strongest (probably) student in 1-A. As soon as the sign to start was given, she slid towards you, the acid splattering on the ground as she got closer and closer to you.

Instead of sending air bursts from your body around you like you did when you versing Yaoyorozu, you chose to raise your hand and shoot a bullet of magic energy from your fingertip at her. As the bullet raced towards her, a glowing trail following behind, it hit her in the sternum and disappeared without a trace. You could hear murmurs from the stands, wondering what you just did.

A few moments later, her whole body lit up as her eyes widened in surprise and her legs buckled. "What the fuck—"

You raised your hand and flicked your wrist, sending her body flying straight into the arena walls and cracking the stone. She coughed up spit as her pink-skinned frame fell to the ground, unmoving.

"Maybe that was a bit much..." You quickly jogged over to her, helping her up as she groaned. The effects from your disabling magic bullet were starting to wear off as you assisted her in standing.

"You sure pack a punch...(Last Name)..." she mumbled, staggering slightly.

"Sorry... That was a bit much," you responded, bowing your head. "I can heal you if you want."

"Don't worry about it, I'll just go to Recovery Girl," she said chuckling. "Don't wanna waste your stamina."

"...Right."

As the two of you walked out of the stadium, your arm around her to support her stumbling figure, she grinned.

"Y'know, you're a lot nicer than you seem to be. Like how you don't smile and you seem to be all serious, but then you're super duper helpful and kind and stuff!"

"Thank you..." You were taken aback at how well she thought of you. You assumed people didn't think of you in a good way, since you weren't talkative and social. But...at least it doesn't seem that way...?

As you handed her off to Recovery Girl, you made your way back to the stands where most of your class was waiting.

"(LAST NAME)!!!" Bakugou roared as soon as his crimson eyes landed on you. "Get ready for me to pummel you to bits in our fight!"

"Right," you replied tiredly. He was giving you a harsh look as you took a seat next to Kirishima. "Don't forget that last time, I beat you."

"That was before! I'm going to beat the shit out of your bitch self," he growled back.

"Huh? When did you guys fight?" Kirishima asked curiously, his head flicking back and forth between you two.

When he got no answer from you or Bakugou, he sighed, giving up.

"You guys are so cold-hearted..."