Chapter 39

I'm sitting in the kitchen and just watched Theo leave. I feel kind of lost...I hate this feeling.

I look over at Zane who is sitting next to me, taking a drink of his beer. "I'm going to go visit Kade." I turn and look at Zane.

He nods and goes to grabs his keys, but I grab them first. "No, you stay here. Enjoy your time with Grace." I wink at him.

He shakes his head and takes the keys out of my hand. "I'll drive. I'm going with you."

We get in the car and it's silent between Zane and I, which is odd because we've been through so much together. "You're babysitting me aren't you?" I cross my arms over my chest, slightly annoyed that Theo thinks I need a babysitter.

He takes a deep breath and looks at me. "Haley, I'm not babysitting you."

I shake my head. "Yes you are. Theo left you behind to watch me and Grace didn't he? Don't lie to me. I know he trusts you the most, so it's only logical...I'm not stupid."

He clenches his jaw. "Haley, stop. Theo wanted me here to protect his family."

"I know." I sigh and look out of the window.

We arrive to the warehouse and I make my way to Kade's cell.

I walk in and he looks very healthy and all of his bruises have healed. I sit down in front of him at the metal table. "Hi."

He clasps his hands and he analyzes my face. "You look well and very beautiful...no doubt you take after your mother."

"I don't want to talk about my mother." I say curtly.

He smiles. "What would you like to talk about?"

"Do I have other family on your side?"

He nods his head. "Yes, my parents are alive and they would be ecstatic to learn about you."

"Do they know what you're involved in?" I glare at him.

"Be careful casting stones sweetheart...your precious Theo is involved in the same business. But, to answer your question, they know enough to not get involved. Would you like to meet them one day?"

I take a deep breath, my heart beating rapidly. Thinking about all of the family I know nothing about. "I would."

I spend two hours with Kade, getting to know the rest of my family and he tells me stories of my grandparents. While I don't trust him, I'm starting to care for him.

Zane drive us back home. We pull up to the house and notice all the lights are off, even the outside. Zane sits and looks at the house, analyzing every inch of it. He pulls out his gun. "Wait here."

He gets out and heads towards the door. I'm not fucking waiting.

I walk up behind him. He turns and looks at me completely pissed off. "God damnit Haley." He whispers.

A light flips on and I heard a gun shot. I stood in shock as Zane looks down and hits the wall behind him. I look down at him and see he's been shot in his right shoulder. I scream and run to him. I press my hands to his wound, trying to stop the blood. Tears flood my eyes and I can't see anything. I rip his shirt and shove it into his wound and wrap the rest around his arm, hoping he stops bleeding.

"I'm okay Haley. I need you to run to the car and leave." I shake my head crying. "No, I'm not leaving you."

All of a sudden a guy walks towards us and Zane shoots him with his left hand. A guy comes from behind me and kicks Zane in the face and grabbing me in the process. I kick and scream, looking at Zane passed out. "Let go of me you piece of shit!"

The guys drags me into a room where I see Grace all bruised and tied to a chair. I gasp looking at her. "You must not compensate well with your manhood if you have to beat women. I figured that as soon as I saw you."

The guy had ahold of the back of my neck, squeezing it harder. I bring my right hand up pull his hair, as hard as I can, ripping some out in the process. "You stupid bitch." He throws me to the floor and walks up to me and kneels down, punching me in the face.

I hear Grace screaming. "Please...please. Stop hurting her! You're going to kill her!"

He pulls me up and throws me into the chair, tying me to the chair.  My head hangs from the punches he delivered to my face. I could feel blood flooding my mouth. "I can't wait to kill you painfully and slowly...you stupid bitch." He lifts my head up by my hair. "What, that smart mouth has nothing to say now?" He smirks. I clench my jaw and spit blood in his face. "Fuck you."

"That enough!" A familiar man walks in.

I turn and see that piece of shit that I started to care for.

"Haley, you have a choice. Come with me and you can become the next heir, or die here with Theo's family." Kade stops in front of me.

"You bastard." I breath heavy.

I see two guys bring a bleeding Zane and throw him on the floor. He sees my face and I can tell from his expression that I don't look too great. Kade holds up a gun and points it at Zane. "You're decision Haley." Tears fill my eyes.

"Can I call Theo and talk to him before I go." Kade nods his head.

One of the guys hands Kade my phone. Kade dials Theo and puts it on speaker phone. "Baby? Haley?" Tears run uncontrollably down my face. "Theo...I." He cuts me off. "I know...I'm on my way to you right now. Zane warned me." I look up at Kade and I see anger is burning. He turns and looks at Zane and walks over to him and punches him in the face, breaking his nose. I cry more.

"Theo...I need to tell you something. I need to tell you that I love you so much and at the end of the day I chose you." I look up at Kade and give him a cocky smirked. Anger rages through him and he ends the call, shooting Zane right in front of me.