Chapter 18

Chapter 18

It’s been a week already. I’ve avoided Vic at all costs, I skipped most of the week and my dad hadn’t even had the slightest clue I’ve been missing it. Justin and I were currently hanging out while my dad was still at work; it was Thursday 7pm, only 1 hour until my dad gets home.

“I’m telling you man, Vic has been acting so strange this week though” Justin tells me, I roll my eyes, he keeps trying to cheer me up that ‘Vic’s been a mess without me’ etc. I’m not believing it.  

“Justin!” I said sitting up from the bed “I heard him say how I was hard to handle! Am I really that annoying? Do I have too many problems?” I asked him firing my questions at him.

“I don’t think so” Justin shrugged, maybe he’s right, oh wait, he doesn’t know the big anchor pulling me down, the fact my father beats me.

“Whatever” I mumbled, wanting to change the subject.

“Come to school tomorrow” Justin blurted out at random

“What- No!” I immediately said afterwards “I don’t want to see him” I frowned and felt my eyes beginning to well up in tears of the thought to see him again.

“Please? Just do it, if not for me then for yourself because you’re going to have to do it sooner or later so might as well get it over with” Ugh he had a point.

“Fine” I said, annoyed that he won this argument “But when I’m in the bathroom crying by lunch time, I’m blaming you”

“You are so overly dramatic” Justin said punching my arm

“Hey!” I yelled at him with a smile and he just rolled his eyes at my ‘fake hurtness’ “Actually though you better go dude, my dad’s coming home from work soon and he doesn’t like it when I have friends over”

“Your dad sounds like a dick” Justin said and I laughed

“You have no idea” I muttered under my breath, most likely too quiet for him to hear.

I walked to my door to open it and lead it out of the house when I heard my dad’s car pulling up. Shit. “Justin go out the window” I said quickly.

“What? No-“

“Go out the window!” I whisper yelled at him, feeling panicked

“Okay! Chill” he said putting his arms up in defeat. He walked to the window and slid it open. I heard my father’s footsteps growing louder as he came closer to my room. I rushed to the window and pushed Justin out. I had to hold back my laughs so my dad didn’t hear.

“You’re an ass!” Justin said, standing and whipping his hands on his jacket “See ya tomorrow” he winked and walked off.

I shut the window and flopped down onto my bed, just in time to have my door whipped open by my sad excuse of a dad. He stood there for a few seconds, glaring at me, I could see in his eyes he was thinking about what he would do to me. I sad there in fear, waiting for whatever he was going to do to come at me. But he didn’t he just stood there for a while before whispering.

“Lindsey is staying the night tomorrow you better not be here” he growled and closed the door. I learned that my father’s new girlfriend is named Lindsey, she’s really nice and all its just disgusting to think he could do that with anyone other than mom. I remember all night long when I was little they would argue until my mom cried out in pain from my dad. I remember the first night he cheated on her he bought me Pokémon cards so I wouldn’t tell mom, I was 13. But after I kept finding them in the act it was the ‘norm’ for me to see. Once I turned 16 I told my mom everything and thus began the whole fight. My dad left us for a month and we both thought it was over until he came back demanding custody over me. The day of the court trial my mom never showed and the custody papers were signed, left on her kitchen counter.