I'll Be There

He felt frazzled. Out of breath. Buzzing with restless energy.

He felt the pressure he was under push into his chest and he was short of breath once more.

He knew that this life, as an actor, as a public figure, this life that he had never expected to lead but the one that was now his, would not be all sunshine and roses. He knew it was going to be hard, especially coming from a humble background like his with no formal acting training.

He had had concerns before, doubts and anxieties (that he had always kept to himself). 

But today was the first time he felt like they were threatening to drown him. It hit him like a 9 foot wave and suddenly he was disorientated and on the ground, metaphorically speaking. It was an overwhelming sense of despair that was equally frustrating because he couldn't control it, it just overtook him.

He didn't want to be a burden on the ones around him so he escaped.

He came outside, here, to the basketball court. Even though he hadn't touched the ball, being outside, breathing in the cool fresh air, on friendly turf, helped calm himself down ever so slightly.

As he was trying to control his breath and shake off all the doubts and anxieties, he heard behind him "Wang He Di, let's play!!!"

He turned to find his girlfriend bundled in a cute coat holding out a basketball.

He blinked and then blinked again before he was thrown the basketball, something he was only able to catch by instinct.

"Let's play He Di! DiDi! Winner gets to pick lunch tomorrow!"

He looked at his girlfriend and then at the basketball and then back at his girlfriend.

Seeing her with a competitive smile on her face brought a smile to his face.

He rushed to her, "Game On! Just to let you know that I love meat!"

She laughed loudly as she rushed to him and managed to knock the ball out of his hands.

She threw the ball at the net and, despite her horrible throw, almost made it into the basket. The ball bounced off the backboard with a huge thunk and the both of them ran after it.

He grabbed her around the waist and swung her gently around a couple of times, Yue shrieking in laughter.

Once he put her down, he leaned down and kissed her on the forehead. That caught his lovely girlfriend off guard and he was able to pick up the ball and smoothly make a basket.  Once he caught the ball once again, he turned around to see her with an adorably offended expression on her face.

She charged at him and with a little fancy footwork managed to steal the ball out of his hands. They both watched in awe as the ball she shot actually went in with a clean swoosh. She did an excited little cheer before grabbing the ball again.

Using his height as an advantage, he extended both of his arms as far as they could go, to create a human wall between his girlfriend and the basket. As they shuffled and swerved around each other, he heard Yue let out a frustrated little huff. Seeing an opportunity, he reached out and stole the ball, bounding back over the court to deliver a slam dunk.

As he retrieved the ball again, she was right behind him trying to get it. He decided to tease her and lifted the ball way above his head with one arm, using the other arm to fend her off.

"You think you can get this Strong Strong? Hmmm?!" He said with a laugh.

He peered down to see his girlfriend jumping furiously to try and reach the ball, her arms not reaching high enough.