Precious Hidden Details

She got out of the shower and wrapped herself with a fluffy bathrobe and her hair with a separate towel.

She glared at her toweled head through the mirror as if her glare could produce perfect hair.

However, perfection is a process and for the award show the next night, perfection begins the night before (especially if you are getting on a flight in a matter of hours).

Starting with the hair.

She slipped her feet into fluffy slippers as she went to the front hallway to grab the bag she left in the closet a couple of days prior.

It was from her hair stylists and it was the latest hair technology that they wanted her to try.

She wasn't a fussy person with her hair. She of course wanted to keep it strong, healthy and glossy (all the while trying to combat her perceived balding problem) but other then that, she didn't do much. She brushed it of course and braided it, kept it half up half down, tied it up, clipped it to the side, put it in a bun or multiple buns but that was as far as her personal hair styling went.

Whatever these things were were supposed to give a natural curl to your hair if you slept in them overnight.

When she went on that road trip over the summer with Xiaowen, she had used them on herself. So she had seen it done, she had never done it on herself.

No time to try like the present right? Especially the night before a huge red carpet event.... said no one ever.

She was determined to push on, and marched back into her bathroom, bag clutched in one hand.

She removed her towel from her head and stared firmly at her reflection, damp hair framing her face.

She began sectioning off parts of her hair and wrapping them around the colorful rods.

She had gotten a couple done (her head looking like she ate part of the rainbow) when her phone rang.

It was Didi.

She put him on speaker and after throwing out a quick, "Hi babe. How are you?" , went back to curling her hair, sticking her tongue out in concentration.

He usually would respond quite quickly with an enthusiastic greeting and a vivid recounting of events (sometimes). Today, however, there was static silence on the line. Which was weird.

She was beginning to think that he butt dialed her or his thumb slipped by mistake and accidentally called her when she heard a loud sigh on the other end.

She would know that sigh anywhere.

Her shoulders relaxed a little, tiny mystery solved- he was, in fact, on the other end of the line and he was thankfully alive ( as, last she checked, dead people can't sigh).

She waited for more, because she knew her boyfriend and she knew that he couldn't keep silent for very long on a regular basis, it wasn't in his nature.

Sure enough, she heard a short huff of "Shen Yue-e"

"I saw your photos on Weibo as part of your 2018 recap. Aiyooo, why did you pick the most adorable ones for the world to see huh? Tsch, some of them I hadn't even seen before!"

She laughed to herself because she could swear her boyfriend, her Didi, one of the most attractive men in the world (the most in her opinion and hers), currently known for his striking and broody image- was pouting.

"Aiyooo, my fool- I send you almost all of the pictures I take already, the majority of which I look ridiculous with funny faces."

"Okay, okay, I will send you all of the pretty photos too. You will be the first one to see them."