24. Homeward Bound

*Three Months Into The Future, after Mikey and Gerard Had a Phone Call*

Gerard read the email, over and over again. He couldn't stand reading it. He thought he was going to throw up. His stomach was churning and wrapping itself around intensely. He felt as if he couldn't breathe.

"Email; Elena Lee Rush

From: Mikey Way

To: Gerard Way

Message: Gerard, you should really come back to Belleville, something's come up. I know I should have told you months ago, but I refused to. And its happened, and I thought it wouldn't because, there was always hope that it wouldn't. You can go ahead and be mad for me, but you remember what you promised a long time ago when Grandma was in the Hospital. Now is the time for you to come and do that.

I'm sorry, Gerard, but Grandma passed away two days ago and Frank, Mum, and I went down there to help her clean up after her cats, and she wasn't alive. Gerard, you have to come home, the funeral is in a few days, so please. Please Gerard, don't miss this. You know you'd regret it if you did miss it.

I miss her, I miss you. I feel so lost right now, Gerard. Even Frankie can't help me. You can though, you're my big brother. I need you in order to feel somewhat normal. You're probably torn up reading this right now, but really Gerard, come back.

I

love you Gerard. Hopefully you'll be here soon.

Bye,

Mikey

___________________________________________________________________________________

Gerard packed up a bag of clothes, he grabbed his cellphone, his laptop, and his sketchbook. He walked down the step to the kitchen and looked at Victor and Serena. They gave him a curious look. "I'm leaving for a few days, I'll be back. I promise." Gerard told them, Mac came down the stairs as if she had heard him say that. She hugged Gerard tightly and smiled at him.

"Don't worry. Everything will be okay. We'll meet again." Mac said to him, he nodded his head and hugged her tightly, he had grown close to the younger girl, he treated her as if she were his sister that he never had. And she treated him like a older brother whom she never had.

"Is everything alright?" Victor asked, he had a cigar between his lips, the scent of the smoke was warm to Gerard. He sighed and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Something came up back home. I have to go." Gerard said, he gripped his keys in his hand and fidgeted with them. "Three days, then I'll be back. If you need me, you know my number." Gerard told him. Victor nodded his head, Serena gave him a somewhat concerned look.

"Alright, we'll see you then. Call when you get to your house, okay Gerard?" Serena said. Gerard nodded and slipped on some black combat boots, it was dark out, but it was during the day. The dark clouds shielded the sun's rays. Gerard grabbed the door knob and opened it.

"I promise." Gerard assured them, he stepped out of the house and closed it. A freezy breeze slammed into him, it was ice cold. Winter was slowly approaching, yet snow had not fallen. He got to his car, it was a car that he had bought when he got enough money from his job, he had sold three paintings and sketches, he had been paid immensely because they were larger in size and a lot of people liked them.  

Gerard liked the Trans-Am. He had done artwork to it himself, it took him hours, but he was pleased with the outcome. He made his way out of the driveway and down the road in the direction of the way his home town was.

As he was driving, that's when he broke down. He couldn't believe the one he loved, the one he had been taught by. The one who taught him everything he knew, was dead. He had tears streaming down his face, he wanted to die.

"Gerard, calm the fuck down. Everyone fucking dies!" Gerard shouted at himself, it was true. He had realized that eventually everyone he loved would die, including himself. They'd go somewhere, maybe not to Heaven, but somewhere. Somewhere like he always thought, trapped in their favorite memories. "You're fine.." He whispered to himself. He sighed heavily, exhaling thickly. He lit up a cigarette at a traffic light and rolled down the window slightly, he didn't care if it was raining.

He had to admit, he was somewhat proud of himself, he hadn't had a drink since he left, yet he had become more dependent on cocaine, he liked it, and he hadn't had anything bad happen to him yet. He hadn't done cocaine over a few days, but now he found a reason to. He found a reason to get drunk as well.

He just kept driving, he wanted to get home and hug Mikey or Donna. He wanted a hug, he just really wanted one. He even wanted Frankie. He wanted everyone. He needed everyone. He had tears streaming down his face. Gerard felt like every skill he had was lost. Something as a part of him had been ripped out.