Sorry [McDuke]

"Wait, please!"

The loud voice came rushing after the blonde who was trying her best not to let the tears to stream down her cheeks. Heather McNamara didn't want to see nor hear the same old green Heather, Heather Duke. After the events of her sharing her suicidal thoughts and Duke mocking her, she just can't stand being around her so called 'friend.'

"Mac, just listen to me..!" She could hear the girl call out to her so desperately. McNamara absolutely didn't want to do anything at her, the brunette made her heart break into pieces.

So she wondered why her heels stopped clicking and her body stopped moving. In that very moment, reality slowly sunk into her. The loud and upbeat background music was ringing into her ears. Movements of dancing and jumping teens moving recklessly on the dancefloor was something she has noticed. The overly decorated Westerberg gym has somehow made her remember where they were.

It was prom night.

Heather slowly turned her head around to meet the slightly shorter girl. Her voice cracking and her brows furrowed, she let out a shaky "What?"

There was a heavy and tense silence between the two. The lights changed from a dark color to a slightly lighter one. Duke's dark brown eyes suddenly looked so beautiful and glossy under the light. She could see the girl gulp and bite her lip with conflict in her eyes.

Without saying a single word, Duke has jumped to her and hugged her as tightly as she could. Mac could feel her breath get stuck on her throat and her slim body go  really stiff. She couldn't move at all. Her logical reasoning was all clogged with a single thing. 

Duke is hugging me, why?

She couldn't stop it. The dirty blonde could feel hot streaks of water slowly drip down her cheeks, and before she knew it, she was crying real hard. The smaller girl before her only hugged her tightly as she looked up to meet her hazel eyes. Even through her teary vision, she could still see Duke look at her with heavy emotions underneath her dark midnight eyes. Squinting, she could barely recognize those mixed emotions

Grief. Guilt. Concern. Sadness. The way her jet black eyes shimmered under the light, how it wavered with fright. She could clearly see her own bully open her mouth with shaking lips. "Mac... I'm sorry." Her words sounded sincere, it was filled with genuine guilt and sadness. 

"So please, hear me out."

Mac stared at Duke with her brows knitted and her forehead still creased. But this time, she let out a weak smile and a nod before wiping her tears away. She then spoke, "Go ahead," softly. But even if did sound so gentle and forgiving, her hazel eyes still held something heavy. The brunette must've noticed it for she gulped visibly. 

"Well, um... for starters, I was a huge bitch to you." Duke sighed. "I didn't mean to... I mean yeah I was a mega bitch, mind the past tense." She said with a rare and genuine smile then she suddenly coughed awkwardly. "Okay. Maybe I'm still a bitch."

That somehow made Mac giggle lightly. Just that simple and short form of amusement made Duke keep her smile. 

"And I heard that Veronica saw you almost kill yourself in the bathroom." The girl before Mac visibly cringed as the blonde grimaced. "I'm really sorry for that, I understand if you hate me." A pair of hazel eyes widened at the suggestion of "hating Heather Duke." Though it is possible, she was still shocked Heather would say that. She was about to speak but thought otherwise when the brunette opened her mouth yet again.

"You have your every reason to hate me, but I hope you don't." Her black eyes flickered as she bit her lip. "I know you wouldn't believe me if I say this but.." She bit her lip before inhaling sharply. "Can we start over? This time, something better and... happier." She had a glint of hope in her dark yet mesmerizing eyes.

The blonde's eyes fluttered when she heard such words escape the brunette's lips. For all these years, she never thought she would hear Duke say that, she haven't been so true since ages. An uncontrollable grin was plastered on her face.

"Of course, Dukey!" Mac squealed happily with a childish grin on her face before hugging the girl before her. Or more like, suffocate her. She just couldn't believe what was happening right now. She could hear the brunette let out struggling noises which made her loosen a little bit.

Duke finally caught her breath then sighed in relief. "I'm glad and all but..." Her face suddenly turned sour. "Dukey? Seriously? Last time I heard that was in kindergarten." She mumbled in annoyance under her now-steady breaths.

Mac simply giggled. She knew Duke didn't like hearing that nickname, but since she was the one who made it up, she could never forget it. And holy heavens, she missed calling the brunette with that nickname so much. "You can call me Mackie, y'know. Like good old days?"

Before they knew it, they started giggling then burst out laughing within a matter of seconds. They sounded like mentally challenged children as few Westerberg students look at them with judging gazes. The duo simply shrugged it off. After they cooled down, they took the time to stare into each other's eyes.

It was as if time stopped at that point. Or more like, the music changed. The tempo became slower as the tune sounded softer and calmer. Oh. It was a slow song.

There was an awkward silence between the two. 

"So uh," Duke cleared her throat awkwardly, "May I have this dance..?" She asked with a nervous expression on her face. Holding her hand out ever so slowly, the blonde could see the girl shake quite anbit. 

Mac smiled softly before taking the hand with such gladness in her face. "Yes, you may." The last thing she saw was Duke grinning the most she has ever seen before she was pulled in the dance floor.

________________________

cniojioejfjeijfej they're cute okay