Chapter 1

Kyoko Kirigiri, The Ultimate Detective, stood outside the academy for ultimate students. Hope's Peak Academy. She glanced around not seeing many people. There were some teachers walking around along with a few students. From what she observed, they seemed to not be in her grade. She was a detective after all.

Kyoko checked to make sure her gloves were on right and continued her way into the school.

"I am rather early," The girl said to herself, "That would explain why this place seems to be lacking life."

Kyoko walked through the halls, examining each class. She saw various signs leading to different areas before her eyes met one labelled 'The 78th Class.'

Kyoko remembered the letter she received from the school, stating that this was indeed her class. Kyoko, still with her poker face applied, walked into the classroom. She didn't see anybody, only a backpack. The backpack looked like it belonged to a girl, it was rather small and a baby blue color.

"Hm... I wonder where they went..." Kyoko said aloud to herself.

Kyoko chose a seat and plopped down, organizing her bag.

A bit of time passed as she heard the door to the classroom click shut. Kyoko looked up to see a short boy with spikey brown hair.

"Oh! Hey! The boy said, "I didn't know anyone else had arrived," He rubbed the back of his head.

"I only just arrived. I am assuming that is your bag? Can I ask why it's a girls bag?" Kyoko asked. She assumed he returned from using the restroom.

The boy blushed from embarrassment, "Well... Funny story... It was the last bag in stock! And I bought it last minute. Just my luck!"

Kyoko blinked and put her hand to her chin examining him. "He arrived the earliest, yet procrastinated getting school supplies?" She thought to herself.

The boy blinked, "Uh... Well... My name is Makoto Naegi."

Kyoko snapped out of her trance, "Oh. I'm Kyoko Kirigiri."

"That's a cool name!" Makoto said before walking over to his bag.

The two sat in awkward silence for quite a while.

"So... Uh... What's your talent?" Makoto asked.

Kyoko looked over at him. "I'm the Ultimate Detective."

"Oh! That's cool!" Makoto smiled.

"What's yours?" Kyoko asked. She had looked him up and down and saw no signs of what his talent could be. He just seemed to look... Average.

Makoto rubbed the back of his head, "Well... I'm the Ultimate Lucky Student... Not that I'm proud of a talent like that."

"Oh. I see," Kyoko said looking back to her belongings.

"Yeah they had this big drawing type of thing where they take normal people and-"

"I am aware of how it works," Kyoko said.

"Oh... Sorry," Makoto said going quiet.

A while passed as the door swung open.

"Hello fellow classmates! I am Kiyotaka Ishimaru! It is a pleasure to meet y-!" Taka went quiet realising only two people were in the classroom. "Wh-what!? We're supposed to be here in five minutes! Where is everybody!?" Taka basically yelled, getting rather flustered.

The entirety of 78th Class had arrived. After Taka gave them a strict lecture about being on time, their opening ceremony started.

This was it. The people Kyoko was stuck with for her entire highschool career. Of course she was neutral at the moment with the majority of the students. Except for Makoto. She couldn't quite put her finger on it. Kyoko found him so... Intriguing.