Chapter 3

Thursday and Friday went by like a breeze. Wedding plans were on full swing. It wasn't much of a party, only a very close group of friends and family - my grandparents, Carmen's family, Audrey, Collin, Carmen's colleagues and Dad's colleagues. I had to pick up flowers and suits and dresses and people and whatnot.

My grandparents had a house in Haven and had no need to live with us. Carmen's mom, Monica was going to live with us. She was sharing Ray's room. I had to pick her up from the bus station on Friday.

She talked to me the whole drive to our house. She talked to me about my school and college days and the extremely safe topic of Haven's weather and told me stories about Ray's childhood. Monica was full of life like her daughter.

Ray ran in to her grandma's arms as soon as Monica stepped into the house. I noticed the resemblance. All the women I had encountered in Carmen's family looked similar.

The three women filled the house with laughter. They talked for about two hours before Monica asked me if she could cook something for everyone.

"It's Carmen's house as much as it is mine which makes it your house as well and when food is concerned, how can I say no?" I shrugged.

"I like you," Monica said and pinched my cheek before heading to the kitchen.

The house showed more life and laughter than I had seen of it in all the years I lived in it. Ray chattered with her grandma like I had never seen before. I thought about what Audrey said to me a day ago.

How's it going?

Carmen's mom is here. She's
making honey oatmeal cookies.
Their family is a chatty lot.

Oo honey oatmeal cookies!
Save one for me.

Are you liking them?

They are different than people
I usually interact with but
they're cool I guess.

Told you.

How could I think that you
would miss a chance of saying
'told you'?

^_^ Go help make cookies.
I gotta go.

I love you.

The feeling is mutual.

"Zack, I forgot to tell you. You have to say something at the wedding," dad said.

"What?" I looked up from my phone.

"It's your father's wedding. Surely, his son would have something to say," Monica said.

"Yeah," I replied. Total lie.

***

On Saturday morning, Carmen woke me up at five a.m. I was so sleepy, I accidentally squeezed hand wash on my toothbrush. I had to wear a suit and tie.

"Zack, are you ready?" Carmen's voice came up the stairs.

"Yeah," I said coming down.

Carmen looked beautiful. She hadn't worn her dress yet but her makeup and hair was done and she looked stunning.

"You look great," I said.