Chapter 6

I spent hours with Basilio and Antonella. They were just like I remembered them. They were good people. I told Dad that I visited them. He smiled and said that we should all visit the ice cream parlor some time. I agreed.

On Monday morning, I woke up early again. I freshened up and my phone buzzed. I hurried over to my nightstand and looked at it. It was a notification from an app. No call or message from Audrey. I heard some noise coming from downstairs.

I went down to see what it was. Carmen was pacing the kitchen talking on the phone. She looked tense. Ray sat on a chair and looked at her mother.

"Would it be okay if I arrived a little bit late?" Carmen asked. She waited.

"Alright," she hung up.

"How about I stay at home today?" Ray asked.

"What's going on?" I asked.

Carmen's attention turned towards me. "Blake is out of town for a seminar and I have to go to a meeting. I slept in and now there's no time to drop Ray off to school."

"I can stay home," Ray suggested again. Carmen considered it.

"I'll drop her off," I said. Ray looked at me surprised.

"You will?"

"I don't have anything much to do right now. I can drop her," I said.

"Zack you're a lifesaver! Thank you so much!" Carmen hugged me tightly then turned to her daughter.

"You're going to school," she said firmly.

"Fine. I'll go get my bag," Ray said and went into her room.

She came back with her bag and we walked towards my car. We got in and I started to drive. Ray was looking outside the window. It was a good time to start a conversation.

"Why didn't you want to go to school today?" I asked. "Is something wrong at school?"

Ray looked surprised that I actually said anything. "I just said it to piss off mom. Everything's good at school," she answered nonetheless.

"Do you have any classes with Ms. Hayes?" I asked.

"I do. She's a cool teacher. She actually asked me about you the other day," she replied.

I smiled. "She taught me too. I was her favorite student."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah."

"Do you not like my mom?"

I looked at her. "I like your mom. She's really nice. Why would you think that?"

"You haven't exactly been very friendly. You've been acting very weird. I don't know you much but even I can tell something is off."

I hesitated. "Something personal happened," I said. She nodded.

"Do you like my dad?"

"He's great. Most of the times he looks confused though. It's like he can't decide whether or not to be nice to me."

I laughed a little. "He's a strange guy but he actually likes your mom. He wouldn't have married her otherwise."

"The school's here," Ray said. I stopped the car at a side.

"Thanks for the ride," she said.

"Ray?"

"I know I've been very distant but it doesn't mean I don't like you. This is new to us both. I don't really know what I should do or say. The thing is, I want to try. My dad's been alone for a long while and you and Mom have been through a lot too. We all need to adjust to the new situation. I want you to know that I am willing to try," I said.