Chapter 7

Dad was coming back home on Wednesday from the seminar. Ms. Green was back from visiting her parents so I was back to work. It was a surprisingly hectic day. Ms. Green had managed to get a local author do a book release at the bookstore at the end of the month.

"He's a very distant family friend. I saw him in the market and it struck me that he was trying his luck at writing. Everything's ready on his end. He was kind enough to give us time to set up and advertise," Ms. Green said smiling.

"This is a great opportunity for us to network. The bookstore will be more popular and we'll get more customers. We have to make everything perfect," she said looking tense and excited.

"First of all, calm down. Take a deep breath," I said. She obeyed and relaxed a bit.

"We're gonna rock this book release. I'll help you with everything. This is going to be great," I assured her.

"I hope so," she smiled nervously.

"Okay, so we need to clean up this place first. Rearrange it a bit to fit chairs and tables. Also we have to advertise. We can do this," I grinned.

"I think I'll have to hire more help. This is going to be a lot of work. We need this place to shine," she said.

"We'll see that later. Right now, let's get to work."

***

We spent the morning and afternoon cleaning up books and packing books from lost genres into cardboard boxes to make room. In the end, we were both sweaty and tired.

"You should go home. Get some food. We're done for the day," Ms. Green said.

"Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow," I said.

It was lunchtime when I walked back home. The house was empty. I grabbed an apple from the fridge and ate it before stepping into the shower. I was tired from the cleaning up and the shower made me sleepier. I had some lunch and went to sleep.

I was woken up by Ray knocking at my door.

"Why are you sleeping?" She asked leaning against doorway.

"You see human beings and most organisms have the ability to rest by sleeping. I was just trying it out," I said grumpily.

"Hahaha. Very funny. I'm laughing so hard right now," she said obviously not finding it funny.

"Why did you wake me up?" I asked.

"Some of my friends from school are coming over tomorrow," she said.

"So?"

"So, you can either stay out with your friends or stay home and not embarrass me."

"And you couldn't wait till I woke up to tell me about this?" I asked.

"I could but if you slept now then you won't be able to sleep at night. I was just helping you," she winked and went downstairs.

I shook my head. I was still sleepy but Ray was right. Sleeping now meant a restless night. I liked my nights peaceful.

I heard the doorbell ring and was heading downstairs when Ray yelled, "I'll get it!"

I was already downstairs when I heard Ray say, "Yeah he's home. Come in."

Who was looking for me? I stepped into the living room and saw Audrey standing there with Ray. She looked the same. No difference.

"Hi Zack," she said.

"What are you doing here?" I asked not bothering to be kind or mature.

"I had to talk to you," she said.