Chapter 16

The weekend passed like a blur. I talked to Katy and Jenny via text a few times. Colin was a bit busy and we didn't get to talk much. The next week was extremely boring with nothing new happening at all. Ray and I had clearly become friends and talked a lot more freely. Before I realized, it was Friday.

I came back from work and saw Ray talking to someone on her phone. She had her back to me and didn't see me enter.

"I don't think I can come," she said. "It'll be too awkward for me."

She listened to the other person then said, "Sorry, Heather. You guys have fun."

"Yeah, bye." She hung up and turned back to see me.

"What is it you can't go to?" I asked her.

"Nothing. Do you want cookies? Mom made some," she said quickly changing the topic.

"Yes and you're lying. What's up? You can tell me," I tried to persuade her.

She sighed. "The parents and children are organizing this quiz competition tomorrow after school."

"So what's the problem?"

"The teams have to be either mother and son or father and daughter. I can't participate with my mom," she said.

"I still don't see the problem. You can participate with my dad," I said.

She hesitated. "I thought you won't be comfortable with that."

I raised my eyebrows. "Why would I not be comfortable?"

"Maybe you don't want to share your dad. Besides how would I ask him? Don't take it the wrong way, your dad is really nice but it's gonna take me some time to get used to it and think of him as a father." She said.

"You're right. You would feel awkward asking him," I said with a serious look.

"Thanks for understanding," she gave me a smile.

"But I won't," I added and ran into the garden where dad was before Ray could get hold of me. She was quick to hurry after me but I was still faster than her.

"Hey Dad! Did you know there's a father daughter quiz competition in Ray's school tomorrow?" I told him.

He was puzzled by my sudden appearance and question. Ray came in just as I finished the sentence. Carmen looked at Ray and Dad with a concerned look on her face.

"I actually do know about it." He turned to Ray. "You could take part in the competition with me."

The look on her face told that she didn't know how to react. Carmen's stare intensified on the both of them.

"Only if you want to," Dad added seeing Ray's silence.

"I want to participate," she said.

Carmen's expression relaxed. This was the moment she'd been waiting for since the day of her marriage. She wanted her husband and daughter to accept each other and they did.

I knew I was grinning like an idiot. "Great! I'll be in my room if you guys need me."

As soon as I stepped into the house, I felt a punch to my ribs.

"Ow!" I yelled. "What the f-" I turned back to see Ray and shut up.

"Why the heck would you hit me?" I asked.

She was glaring at me. Honestly, she looked a teeny tiny bit scary.

"I'm gonna get even for this," she said.

"Awww, silly!" I teased her. "Another law of being siblings, being ratted out is unavoidable." She glared at me some more and then went into the kitchen.

I laughed and went into my room and decided to listen to music. I listened to 'Youth' by Shawn Mendes and DJ Khalid and hummed it's tune.

***

On Saturday, dad and Ray left for the competition. I had no urge to attend a middle school quiz competition and Carmen had to write a report on something.

My phone buzzed. I had a text from Colin.

Hey. Are you free?

Yeah. Why?

Cause dad's not at
work and this is the best
time to sneak you some
sandwiches.

I'll see you in ten.

He knew I was serious when it came to his dad's sandwiches. Lawrence Parks made the best sandwiches in the whole wide world.

"Carmen?" I called out for her. She was sitting on the study table massaging her forehead with one hand.

"Yes?" She looked at me.

"I'm going out to see Colin," I told her.

"Okay. Have fun," she said and went back to her work.

***

"I would pay a hundred dollars for those sandwiches," I said after eating.

"Maybe I shouldn't have given them to you for free," Colin laughed and I joined him.

"Hey. Go get some cold drinks from the grocery store. We can go to my parents' and watch Suits."

"Good idea." I walked out of his dad's restaurant and into the market street. The grocery store was just across the street from the restaurant and the road was clear.

I was just about to enter the store when I heard a familiar laugh. I looked back and saw Audrey.

She was laughing and smiling at a guy. They held hands and walked like a couple. She was with a guy. A guy who wasn't me.

Author's Note

You all probably hate Audrey by now. I don't blame you. What do you think of this chapter? What's your opinion on Zack and Ray's relationship now? I love hearing your thoughts so don't hesitate to comment.

Vote

Comment

Share

Have an awesome weekend!