Chapter 21

The book release was a hit. There were publishers, newbie writers and so many customers. Ms. Green was on cloud nine. The smile never left her face.

Colin and I had made up and he was attending the release. Katy had been true to her word and had brought a writer with her. Jenny too was there with a few of her friends. Did I mention that the event was a big hit?

"Zack! I can't believe it. People are buying not only Carter's books but are also ordering others. We have more sales than we had in the whole week!" Ms. Green beamed.

"Well you definitely deserve it. You've worked extremely hard for this." I said.

"We have worked hard for this." She looked at me with pride in her eyes. "Let me introduce you to Carter."

She dragged me to a man around my dad's age. He too looked very happy and was talking to a publisher. He nodded at the publisher and ended his conversation when he saw us. 

"Carter, this is my favorite employee, Zack." She introduced us. "Zack, this is Carter, the author."

"I'm not just the author," he gave Ms. Green a look and turned to me. "Pleased to meet you, Zack. Tara's told me a lot about you."

"I hope it's all the good things. Your book is very interesting. All my friends have bought a copy." I said shaking his hand.

"I hope you have a lot of friends," he said and we all laughed.

"I should leave you guys to talk." I said and escaped the conversation.

I saw my dad talking to Jenny and Colin talking to Katy. Ray came over to me.

"I have to admit, this is awesome." She said.

"So am I."

She rolled her eyes.

"Have you ever considered writing a book?" She asked.

"Nope. Have you?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Reading is fun but writing isn't really my thing. I'd rather become an actress."

"Really? Don't forget me when you're all rich and famous." I said.

"I won't. I'll hire you as my chauffeur."

I messed up her hair as my response. She ruffled mine in return.

"I'm surprised you can reach my hair," I said.

"You're an idiot." She stuck out her tongue at me.

"Who is Katherine?" She asked.

"She's a friend of Ms. Green and now my friend too." I explained.

"Well she was looking for you. She said she had to talk to you about something."

"Then I better go see her."

I walked over to where Katy was standing.

"I heard you were looking for me." I said.

"I was. I have something to talk to you about. Can we talk after this?" She asked.

I nodded. I had no idea what she wanted to say but she looked eager. I stood back and looked at the scene. Everyone I cared about was near me and they were all happy.

It was all that mattered.

***

"So what is it that you wanted to talk to me about?" I asked Katy as we sat in a cafe, sipping coffee. I had gone to a lot of cafes in the past few days.

"I have an offer for you." She said sounding confident.

"I'm listening."

"I want to start a business. An event management company. I've been looking for a co-owner for days. When I talked to Ms. Green about it, she said that you were the perfect person for the job. From what I've seen, I agree with her."

I was surprised. I had been looking for a job for months and had found nothing that I liked. I didn't want to do anything in journalism. Politics wasn't my thing either. I had never been interested in teaching either. Starting a business had never crossed my mind. Now that I thought about it, I actually liked the idea.

"I have it all planned out. I just want a co-owner. What do you say? Are you up for it?"

I'll be the co-owner of a business. I'll have something to do that I like. I could move out of Dad's house.

"Let's do this." I said.

Author's Note

Only one more chapter left guys! I can't believe I've already written twenty one of these. This is the longest book I've written. Don't hesitate from letting me know what you think.

Vote

Share

Comment

Love you all❤️