Chapter 8

Dad was back on Wednesday. I worked with Ms. Green to clean up the bookstore. Ms. Green had only one employee - me. She didn't hire anyone else saying that she didn't need much help. I sometimes wondered if she kept me on this job because she pitied me. Then I shook the ridiculous thought out of my head. I had been working in the store since I was fifteen. Ms. Green hired me because she liked me.

"Do you plan on decorating the place?" I asked her.

"Zack, the only decorations a good bookstore needs are books and readers. We have the books and soon enough we'll have the readers," she smiled.

Her mood had improved significantly since she had shared the news with me. She smiled a lot more and seemed happy. That improved my mood too.

Collin had to go to some family function for a few days so I couldn't talk to him. I spent a lot of time helping out Ms. Green with tidying up and writing down invitations.

I was back home by lunch and decided to write out more invitations. Ray came home with a group of clueless teenagers, I assumed were her friends.

"Hey, Zack. These are my friends," she said pointing at the kids around her. "Guys, this is my stepbrother, Zack."

"Hey," I said. They introduced themselves - Heather, Kristen, Skylar and Zane.

"We have an assignment in art class. We need quite a lot of room to make something," Ray said.

"I'll go to my room you can use the living room. If you need anything I'll be upstairs," I said and went into my room.

Ray showed her friends around the house and the kids started their project. I continued writing the invitations. Ms. Green was inviting school teachers, the principal, college professors and other influential people in the town.

I decided to text Collin.

You busy?

If being forced to listen
to my cousin sister's stories
about their boyfriends is
something you think I like
to do, then yeah I'm busy.

Lol. Ray's friends are over
here. I'm bored too. Guess
what. Ms. Green arranged a
book signing at The Worlds.

That's cool dude. What
book is it?

It's an inspirational book.
I don't know the details. The
author is Ms. Green's distant
family friend.

It's gonna be fun. I
have some news too. I
am going to stay in Haven
for the next year. Dad
hired me to manage the
finances of the family
restaurant.

Why didn't you tell me earlier?
That's great news man! I want
discounts on your dad's special
sandwiches. They're so delicious.
I just can't resist them.

I'm pretty sure he'll make
them for free for you. He
loves you.

I'm pretty lovable.

Hahaha. So, what else is
going on?

Audrey came over yesterday to
return the stuff I gave her.