♡2♡

"Shh, everything's alright

"Shh, everything's alright. Just relax."

A soothing voice whispered in my left ear, drowning out the beeping machine.

My eyes were still squinting, tears forming. The lights were way too bright.

A switch went off and the room turned into a grayish blue. Drops of rain attacked the window beside me. A hand fell on mine. "Sorry about the lights, is that better? Do you need anything?"

I recognized the nurse's voice, soft and firm. I pulled my hand away, continuing to reach for something else... someone else.

I tried to speak, but my voice was stuck in my throat; scratchy and dry. I coughed for about a full minute before I began to cry.

My nurse, Emelina, placed a tissue on my eyes, wiping my tears. "It's alright, sweetie. You're doing great."

But I wasn't. I was stuck in this cold hospital room for whatever reason. I didn't even remember getting there. I rubbed my eyes slowly, my vision blurry.

"Would you like to try and eat something now?" Emelina smiled down at me.

***

She spoon fed me a soggy, watered down version of mashed potatoes. I nearly threw it all up the moment it touched my tongue. But I gulped it all down, wanting every bit of strength to talk again.

I swallowed some water. "W- where's my m..m..mom?"

Emelina's eyes met mine with joy. "You're finally speaking, isn't that wonderful?"

She set down the small bowl of gross mashed potatoes and faced me again. Her large brown eyes used to scare me, especially after waking up from a deep sleep. But now I realized her eyes were very friendly. Her whole face was, actually. She had a tiny mole on her tanned cheek, right above her dimple.

"Your mother was just here this morning while you were sleeping. She'll be back tonight, as usual. You never seem to be awake to see her though," Emelina explained.

As usual? How long had I even been here?

"Why..." I rubbed my eyes again. "Why am I here?"

Emelina gave me a small smile. "You don't remember me telling you the last time?"

"When was the last time?"

"Two weeks ago."

TWO WEEKS?!

I tried to sit up, to no avail. "Two weeks?" I mumbled. "Why?"

She stood up, gathering the tray of food. "You were in an accident. A pretty bad one."

An accident? Like, with a car? I don't even drive. Do I?

I shut my eyes, fingers on my temples. My body was shaking underneath my hospital gown.

"You don't need to think of it right now, I understand it's too much. And I didn't know that you weren't conscious enough for me to tell you before, so I apologize for that." Emelina replied.

She made her way to the door, promising to return soon.

"W-" I coughed. "Wait,"

The door was half open as she turned around.

I coughed again. "Was I um, driving?"

"No, no. You were hit by a car pretty bad."

"Um... did, uh...wh..." My brain was filled with questions.

"I'll come back and we can discuss this." Emelina promised.

"...was I alone? All by myself?"

She raised a dark eyebrow for a moment, then looked down. A grin formed on her lips. "Not for one second."

She lifted her head, and carried the tray of food out of the room, the door closing softly behind her.

What did that mean? So who on earth was with me?

I stared at the ceiling, my mind racing. I thought about the dream I had just had.

Who was I with?

I couldn't remember it at all, just the feeling, which filled me up with warmth and nostalgia.

So I glanced around the room one last time, my eyelids drooping. A yellow envelope lay flatly on the table beside my bed. I slowly reached out for it, my arms burning in pain.

"C'mon..." I stretched. "Just...a little...mooooore," I grabbed the envelope, finally.

To Kizzy

It read.

No one even calls me that. I thought, sleep pulling me harder.

The envelope fell softly on my chest as my arms landed on my sides. Everything began to move slow and my eyes closed almost immediately.

And there he was again. Behind my eyelids; as if waiting for me to return.

***