♡16♡

I awoke with a jolt, unsure of where I was.

"Good morning! Tomorrow's the big day," my nurse Emelina sang. "You excited?"

I grunted as I rubbed my face. I was finally going home after months in the hospital. I should've been ecstatic but instead, an emptiness filled itself up in my stomach and I longed for something.

Then I remembered.

I looked up at Emelina, who was checking my blood pressure. "Emelina..."

"Yes?"

"I'm here because..." I cleared my throat. "...because he saved my life. Right?"

Her dark brown eyes were glossy. "That's right."

My eyes trailed along the bedsheets. Emelina took a deep breath. "You've accepted."

"Hm?"

"You're not denying it anymore. This whole time you've spoken in your sleep as if you were talking to the young man."

"Ugh," I held my head. "It really felt like he was here..."

I recalled our hands holding and him helping me walk when he was in my hospital room.

"How is that possible? I swear he was here."

Emelina sighed. "The mind plays tricks on us sometimes in order to protect us from the truth. It's normal, especially after hitting your head."

"So, my mom?"

"What about her, sweetheart?"

I gulped. "I could've sworn she didn't want Peter to come and see me... and Brynn and I had to keep the letters a secret because-"

She smiled lightly. "All in your head."

My head felt fuzzy as I stared at my hands. "C-can I see him?"

She gave an apologetic look. I quickly blinked the tears from my eyes. "Please. I- I have to see him... for real."

"I don't think that'd be a good idea. Your mother would prefer you stay here."

"Emelina, please."

I remembered seeing him in that dream, or whatever it was; lying on the hospital bed, not being able to breathe on his own, his lips cracked and purple bruises covering his face. I swallowed and choked on sob.