Chapter 19

I snuck back into my own house, which I found weird, but it was the only way to get out of trouble with my parents..again.
As I closed the window, my door busted open. Didn't I lock that door?

I saw my mother stumble in. "Oh Kendall, I'm sorry I busted in, but your door wouldn't budge."

"Yea, it does that a lot." I say playing along. I sat on my bed. "What's up?"

"Sweetie, your father and I have an emergency meeting up in Boston. We need to be there by morning, so we have to leave now."

"Okay." I smile innocently.

She went towards me and put a hand on my shoulder. "Will you be okay with just being with Spencer for a couple of days?"

"Trust me Mom. I'll be fine." I smile again. I will be fine, because I was faking it at Radley. But only a handful of people know, and my parents weren't one of those people.

"Okay." She kissed my forehead. "I'll call you when we get there."

She was about to leave my room, but turned around when she reaching the door.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" She sounded truly concerned. Now I knew she actually cared. The sound of a loud honk suddenly filled the quiet room.

"That must be your father waiting in the car." She said. She kept fumbling with her hands.

"Mom, I will be fine. Nothing will happen. Okay? So relax. I will call you before I get to bed." I promised her.

"Okay sweetie." She said, then she left my room. I waited for the sound of the front door shutting close, and once I heard it I quickly started packing for my night with Mike.

I started to rummage through my closet, trying to find my...Mike's Rosewood sweater. I couldn't find it. Where the hell was it? I thought, it's probably in the laundry room downstairs. I groaned. I stood and walked downstairs, but stopped myself when I heard Spencer talking on the phone.

"I'm sorry Tobes, but I can't tonight. I have to watch Kendall...... I'm sorry....Love you too....bye." And then she hung up. I walked downstairs and had the look of guilt on my face.

"Don't cancel your plans with Toby just because of me. I'm fine. Go and be with him." I say

"Ken, I have to stay here with you."

"I'm leaving anyways Spence. I was kind of happy when Mom said her and dad were leaving for a couple of days. I'm going to the lake house with Mike tonight."

"Awww." Spencer coos. My cheeks started to blush.

"So you are going to call him back," I say taking her phone. I dialed Toby's number and handed the phone back to her. "And tell him you will be going over to his apartment."

Spencer smiled the biggest smile and put the phone up to her ear. "Toby, I am coming over. I will be there in a half an hour." I swear she had the biggest smile on her face and no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't stop. After she hung up, she told me

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because I'm you're sister and I love you. And I think Toby is awesome." I say with a chuckle. She came up to me and hugged me.

"Okay I need to get ready." She said letting go and happily skipping up the stairs.

About 25 minutes later I saw Spencer run downstairs with a bag slung across her body.
"Text me when you're at the lake house?" She said putting on her boots.

"Mhm. Have fuuunnnn." I slurred. She gave me a quick glare and left the house.

I laid back on the couch and closed my eyes for a little bit. I had such a headache for some reason. I sat up. I was probably dehydrated. I grabbed a glass cup from the cabinet and turned on the sink. I filled up the cup and swallowed every drop of water in the glass. I looked up to see the branches move outside. The glass dropped in the sink. I heard a shatter, though I didn't look. Instead I grabbed a knife. The rustling got louder. Then a figure appeared for behind the branches. The sun was still setting, so I knew who it was right away.