Chapter 7: Dorm Rooms and Discoveries

Mal lead the girls to room 62. "Well Uma," she said turning around, "This is your dorm. Would you like to do the honors?" Uma rolled her eyes and walked to the door. "I suppose I'm used to doing things myself anyway." She opened the door and was surprised by what she found inside. The room had been decorated in an Under the Sea theme. The wallpaper depicted a coral reef and multiple aquatic creatures swimming about. The comforter on the bed and the furniture around the room was teal with starfish and seashell details. It was breathtaking.
          Uma stared at the room mesmerized until someone placed a hand on her shoulder and snapped her back to reality. "Do you like it?", a nervous voice asked. She turned around to see Mal standing behind her. "You did this?" Uma asked, raising an eyebrow. "Yeah, amazing what a little magic can do, huh?" she said softly. Uma gave her an uncertain look. "Why would you do this for me?"
          Mal released a shaky breath. "Because being in Auradon made me realize how badly I messed up when we were kids. What I did was  wrong and though I can't go back in time to change that moment, I'm hoping you will at least except my apology now. I'm sorry Uma. We don't have to be friends, but can we at least put the past behind us and start over?" She stuck out her hand and anxiously awaited Uma's response. After a moment, Uma released a sigh. "I'll except your apology, but I can't completely forgive you right now." Mal nodded, "I get it, you need time. Does this mean you at least don't hate me anymore?" For the first time since arriving in Auradon, Uma cracked a small, genuine smile as she took Mal's hand. "Not even close."
         After making several wrong turns within the maze of corridors and opening a janitor's closet where he found a couple doing something he really wished he could unsee, Gil finally entered the dorm room he was sharing with Harry. As he looked around he was amazed by the decor. Half of the walls were designed to look like a pirate ship with dark wood furniture while the other half was decorated like a log cabin with deer antlers on the walls and light brown furniture. "This room is awesome!" Gil said as he jumped onto the bed with the brown bedspread that had a bow and arrow symbol on it.
         "Yeah it's not bad for a Bor-a-don Prep room I suppose." Harry said walking over to sit on his own bed which sported a red comforter with a silver hook symbol on it. "So how was yer chat with Queen Belle?" Gil grinned and immediately began babbling. "It was okay. She wanted to get to know me for me and not as the son of Gaston. Then, we talked about my family and I blew a fuse, punch the tree, and then Belle comforted me. Next, I told her about wanting to play sports with a real team and she said it was a wonderful idea. She was so nice Harry and when I got mad Belle didn't run away. She stayed and hugged me and rubbed my back until I stopped crying. Belle was so nice and in that moment, I felt like I had a mom. For the first time, I think I got to feel a mother's love Harry! Remember when we were kids and we would wonder what it would be like to have Mom's? I think I know now Harry, and it's amazing."
          Harry stared at Gil in disbelief before flopping back on his bed to stare at the ceiling. "Good for ye Gil." He muttered. Gil frowned as he made his way over to Harry's side of the room. "What's wrong Harry? I just told you I got to experience one of our childhood dreams and you're acting like a seagull just pooped on your pirate hat." Harry groaned as he sat up. "That's just it Gil, you got to experience it. I'm happy for you, I am, but like you said it was our dream. Now, only one of us has had it come true." Gil hung his head as he sat down on the edge of the bed. "I'm sorry Harry. I didn't mean to make you feel bad, but I can't help it that my mom died having me and your mom vanished after CJ was born, leaving you with your drunk dad and oof!"
        Gil's body hit the floor with a thud as Harry placed his hook against his throat. "Ye have no right to bring up my mum!" Harry snarled. Gill's eyes widened as he realized his mistake. "I'm sorry Harry. I shouldn't have brought up your mom. Now get off me!" A dark chuckle erupted from Harry's throat as he pressed down harder with his hook. "Get off you, ye say!? Last time my mom was brought up MY DAD STUCK HIS HOOK THROUGH MY ARM! What makes you think I won't stick mine through your neck?!" He spat.
          Gil looked up at him with wide eyes before whispering, "Because you're my best friend Harry." Harry growled before jumping up and slamming his hook in the wall, embedding it, before collapsing with his head in his hands. Hesitantly, Gil crawled over and sat in front of Harry is he decided what to say. After taking a deep breath he poked Harry's arm. "You okay?" Harry wrapped his arms tighter around his head and knees as he gave his muffled reply. "Go away."
         Gil sighed as he resorted to moving the carpet fibers with his finger to draw pictures. As he drew, his finger suddenly hit a thin metal chain. Gil realized it belonged to the pocket watch Harry carried with him everywhere. He began to fiddle with the chain as he tried to think about how he could cheer up Harry. After a moment, he allowed the chain to slide through his fingers and onto the floor. However, as he watched the chain slip from his grasp a memory popped into his mind that caused wide grin to form on Gil's face.
          "Harry," he began, "I know you would rather talk to your mom, but there is a way you could at least see her." Harry looked up at Gil with an unreadable expression. "What are ye talking about mate?" Gil just smiled as he picked up the chain and pulled the pocket watch out of Harry's pocket. "This." he replied. Harry scowled as he stared at Gil. "How's my pocket watch going to help me see my mum?" Gil grinned as he opened the pocket watch and then began to pull on the clock. "What are ye doing!? Yer going to break it!" Harry said as he reached for the watch. "No I'm not!" Gil responded as a soft pop emanated from The watch. "Look." Harry watched as Gil flipped the clock over to reveal a second picture frame hidden behind it. In that picture frame was an image Harry had never seen before.
          Harry carefully took the watch from Gil as he studied the image before him. The picture showed a woman with long, blonde, curly hair. She held an infant swaddled in a blanket in one arm and a boy no older than two with the other as she sat in an armchair. On the floor in front of her, sat a girl no older than four. It wasn't until Harry saw the boy was clutching a familiar pirate hat wearing teddy bear, that he realized who the people were in the photo.
          "I can't believe it." He whispered. "That's Captain Bear Beard, which means that little boy is me. That means the baby is CJ, the girl is Harriet, and the woman... is mum." Harry stared at the photo taking in the smiles that were plastered on their faces and the happiness he couldn't remember. Carefully, he removed the image and was surprised to find writing on the back.

My love, Jessica, with our three children: Calista Jane (4 Days), Harry (2 years), and Harriet (4 years).

         Harry placed the photo safely back in the frame as he took everything in. After a moment, he turned to face Gil who was holding back laughter. "What's so funny?" He asked. "Captain Bear Beard?" Gil snorted as his laughter filled the room. Harry's face reddened and as he tossed a pillow at Gil, hitting him in the face. "Shut up I was 2!"
      After after Gil calmed down, Harry turned to him once more. "Mate, how did ye know about the photo?" Gil rubbed the back of his neck nervously as he turned to face Harry. "I found your watch in the captain's office one day and started playing with it. While I was swinging it, I dropped it and the clock popped out. I thought I broke it, but then I saw it flipped open to show the picture. I was going to show you but Uma started yelling so I closed it up and left it on the desk. Then  I forgot until now." Harry nodded as he carefully closed up the watch. "Well, thank ye mate. This means more to me than ye know." Gil smiled, "You're welcome Harry."
🌟
          Gil's snores filled the room as Harry sat in the window seat staring up at the stars clutching his pocket watch. The moonlight glinted off the photo inside. Quietly, Harry got up and walked over to the duffle bag he had brought over from the Isle. He rummaged around until he found what he was looking for and then made his way back to the window seat.
         He examined the pirate hat wearing teddy bear in his hands and then looked back up at the stars. "Where are you Mum?" He whispered. "I miss you so much, especially now that I'm expecting a child of my own." Harry look down at his pocket watch and saw that it was striking midnight. With a sigh he closed it and made his way to bed. Harry laid his pocket watch on the nightstand and place the bear next to pillow on the bed. He smiled as he ran a finger over the top of the bear's velvet hat as childhood memories filled his mind. "Good night Captain Bear Beard." Harry whispered as he drifted off to sleep.

     Hey guys here's another chapter. Things will start to move a bit faster within the story now that they're in Auradon and settled in. Any ideas as to who Gil's mystery girl is? All will be revealed soon. I'm blowing this popsicle stand!

                          - Meloetta246