Chapter 18: Figures and Family

The hospital was quiet as a figure clad in red clothing slipped quietly through the window into Uma and Harry's room. The figure slinked silently through the room to Ulma's bassinet. "What a beautiful child." She whispered, taking one of the baby's hands. However, as the figure pulled back, she knocked the pacifier hanging on the bassinet into the floor. The figure froze as Harry stirred in his chair before settling once more.
🌟
The guard was standing watch outside the room when a sound from inside caught his attention. He peered inside to see a figure in red hovering over the bassinet. The guard slipped quietly into the room. "Why am I not surprised?" The figure moved towards the guard as she spoke. "Hello Aaron, seems I'm not the only one breaking rules tonight." The guard chuckled. "But we're not old friend. King Ben has overturned his father's ruling. We don't have to hide or keep our distance any longer."

The figure's eyes widened in surprise. "Is this true? We no longer have to keep our identities a secret secret?" Aaron smiled. "I have a copy of the decree. It's official." The figures eyes sparkled with delight as she took in the news. Just as she was about to ask for more details, their attention was drawn to the movement coming from the bassinet.

"Looks like someone is awake." She whispered, scooping the infant into her arms. "You should go and come back in the morning." Aaron whispered as he watched her cradle the infant. The figure chuckled at his remark. "It's 4 a.m., it is morning. However, I will go. Just let me put the little one back to sleep." The guard sighed as she began to sing.

Remember me
Though I have to say goodbye
Remember me
Don't let it make you cry
For ever if I'm far away
I hold you in my heart
I sing a secret song to you
Each night we are apart
Remember me
Though I have to travel far
Remember me
Each time you hear a sad guitar
Know that I’m with you
The only way that I can be
Until you’re in my arms again
Remember me
🌟
The sound of quiet singing filled Harry's ears as he slowly awoke from his slumber. As he became more coherent, he began to recognize the words being sung. He opened his eyes and scanned the room, bolting up right when he realized they weren't alone. Harry turned on a nearby lamp, giving him enough light to see who was in the room.

It was then he noticed the guard and with him, the red-clad figure who was holding his daughter. "Put my daughter down." Harry growled, grabbing his hook. "You may have saved my life, but that doesn't mean I trust you." I figure stepped forward. "I'm sorry. Here, you can take her." He shook his head, pointing his hook towards the bassinet. "No, just put her in her bed."

A look of realization dawned on the figure's face as she stared at him. "You haven't held her, have you?" Harry glared. "That's none of your concern. Now put Ulma down." The figure placed the sleeping infant back in the bassinet and stepped away just as Uma awoke. "Harry what's going on?" She asked groggily.

Harry kept his eyes on the figure as he replied. "We have an uninvited guest." Uma looked at the figure, then turn to the guard. "Why aren't you arresting her?" Aaron sighed. "Because she's a friend and she means no harm." Harry looked at the figure with mistrust in his eyes. "Who are you? Why are you here? And why, why did you sing that song?" The figure's eyes sparkled as she responded. "The song is a favorite learned from an old friend. I came here because I wanted to find someone I lost long ago. As for who I am, well, I'm hoping you'll be able to answer that yourself Harry."

The figure reached up and carefully removed her mask. Long, curly blond hair cascaded down her back as she gave him a warm smile. Harry stared in disbelief as the realization of who she was hit home. "Mum?" He gasped, dropping his hook. The woman gave him a teary-eyed smile as she nodded. "Yes, it's me. I'm so glad you remember, it's been so long." Harry stood frozen in place as he processed this information. "I don't understand." He began. "Why did you leave us? Where have you been all this time?"