Chapter 17: Births and Beginnings

Harry kept a tight grip on Uma's waist as she cried into his shoulder

Harry kept a tight grip on Uma's waist as she cried into his shoulder. The shock of losing her friend and second mate had hit her hard. "I can't believe he's gone." She whispered. Harry kissed her forehead before looking into her eyes. "Me either. He was my best friend, but we'll get through this. Let's get out of here, love."

Harry led Uma from the room to the front hall where Ben was standing with Mal, filling in his parents on what had occurred. He opened his mouth to greet the royals when a gasp from Uma cut him off. He turned to see her staring at the floor with wide eyes. He looked down and that's when he saw the large puddle of liquid at Uma's feet. "Harry," she whispered in disbelief. "My water just broke."

He froze as Uma's words sunk in. Her water broke. Their baby was coming. He was going to be a dad. "Harry!" Uma snapped as she clutched her stomach, causing him to snap back to reality. "Right. Baby coming, get to the hospital, let's go." Harry rambled, guiding her towards the door. "We'll take you in the limo." Ben chimed in, following them outside with Mal.

"Thank ye, Ben." He replied as he helped Uma into the waiting limo. "Where's everybody going?" They looked up to see Ruby getting out of the limo behind them. "Uma's water broke, we're heading to the hospital." Mal explained as Ben followed Harry into the limo. Ruby nodded excitedly. "Awe, can't wait to meet the little baby! Ryan is already there with Gus. I came back to let Tony and Gil know how he's doing." Mal's face fell at her words. "Ruby, Gil was killed during the fight."

Ruby's hands flew to to her mouth as she gasped in disbelief. "He's dead? I can't believe it, how awful." She wiped the tears from her cheeks she turned towards the castle. "I need to check on Quinn, she must be heartbroken." Mal I'm nodded as she climbed in the limo. "Go, we'll catch up with you later." She closed the door and watched Ruby run towards the castle as the limo pulled away.
🌟
Harry held Uma's hand as the contractions came more frequently. "You're doing great, love." He whispered in her ear. "Remind me to castrate you, aahh!" Uma muttered as another contraction hit. "The baby is crowning." The doctor announced, peeking around the corner of the sheet. Harry smiled as he turned his attention back to Uma. "See? The baby is almost here, just a few more pushes."

Uma pushed her way through another contraction as she squeezed his hand. "Okay, the head is out but I need you to stop pushing." The doctor called out. She looked at Harry in confusion before returning back to the doctor. "Why? I need to push." Dr. Possible sighed. "The cord is wrapped around the baby's neck. I need to remove it before we proceed or baby could suffocate."

Harry rubbed Uma's hand with his thumb is he peeked around the corner. He watched as the doctor slipped her fingers between the baby's neck and the cord before carefully unwrapping it. "Uma, the baby is safe so give me one last big push." Dr. Possible instructed. When the next contraction came Uma pushed with all her might. Moments later a loud wail filled the room.

"And we have a beautiful baby girl." The doctor smiled. "Would the father like to cut the cord?" Harry nodded as he took the forceps and cut where instructed. Dr. Possible handed the baby to a nurse who cleaned her up before taking her footprints and measurements. "Six pounds 4 ounces. 18 inches long." The nurse smiled, handing the swaddle baby to Uma. "She's perfectly healthy."