Chapter 8: Appointments and Answers

Uma tapped her foot anxiously as she waited for the doctor to call her back. She was preparing to have her first ultrasound and to say she was nervous was an understatement. "Relax love," Harry whispered. "Ye've been stewing over this appointment all week. I promise everything will be fine." Uma rest her head on Harry's shoulder as she intertwined her fingers with his. "But what if it's not? What if something is wrong with the baby? What if I lost the baby or the test was wrong and-" "Don't ye dare finish that sentence," Harry said sternly. "Everything will be fine, end of discussion."
              "Uma Witch?" A nurse called out. Uma stood up with Harry. "Here." The nurse smiled as she beckoned them to follow. "Wonderful. Just follow me to the room and Dr. Possible will be with you soon." They followed the nurse to a small room in the back of the clinic containing a bed and two chairs. "You go ahead and lay on the bed dear and young man you can sit in the chair over there." The nurse said. "I'll let the doctor know you're ready."
                The nurse left and Uma climbed onto the bed to lay down as Harry sat beside her. "Ready love?" He asked. Uma sighed is she nervously played with the hem of her shirt. "I'm scared Harry. Seeing the baby will just make everything more real and I'm not sure if I will be able to handle it." He took her hand and gave it a firm squeeze. "Uma Witch, I have seen you sword fight and beat opponents twice your size. You led an entire crew on an expedition to retrieve your mother's necklace and when Gil went overboard, you jump into the shark infested waters to save him. So Uma, seeing a picture of our baby will be a piece of cake." Uma smiled as she leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Thanks Harry."
               Just as Uma sat up a doctor with short, red hair walked into the room. She walked over and extended a hand towards Uma. "Hello, you must be Uma." She said smiling. "I'm Dr. Anne Possible and I'll be your OB-GYN." Uma smiled as she shook the doctor's hand. "It's nice to meet you as well."
             The doctor sat down on the stool on the other side of Uma's bed and began turning on the equipment. She then turned to Uma as she grabbed a small tube. "Alright dear, lift up your shirt and I'll place some gel on your stomach so we can get the ultrasound started. I will warn you, it's cold." Uma lifted up her shirt and the doctor squirted a glob of gel on your stomach. Then, the doctor grabbed a small wand-like tool and began to maneuver it around Uma's stomach.
               After moment, the doctor smiled and turned the screen towards them. "Here's your baby. Based on my measurements and your estimated time of conception, you're about 10 weeks along. I also don't see any malformations of the fetus or anything in the uterus that poses any concerns so you and the baby are completely healthy." Uma released a sigh of relief as Harry gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. "So the baby is okay? There's nothing wrong?" Dr. Possible smiled, "As of right now both you and the baby are perfectly healthy. I will prescribe you some prenatal vitamins though."
              Uma nodded as she turned back to the screen. There was her baby. She could make out the form of the head, small arms and legs, and the beginnings of small hands and feet. It was a beautiful sight. "I told ye so." Harry whispered. Uma chuckled happily, "Yeah, you did." She said turning to face him. However, she found something she didn't expect, Harry with tears running down his cheeks and a smile on his face.
              "Harry? Are you alright?" She asked, concern laced in her voice. Harry's smile only grew wider as he replied, "I've never been better love." Uma's expression turned from worry to confusion. "Then why are you crying?" He chuckled as he wiped the tears from his cheeks. "First of all I'm not crying, I sprung a leak. Second, I'm happy Uma. That's our baby, our child. You were right, seeing the baby does make it more real, but in a good way. He/she isn't even here yet and I already love them more than anything."
              "Well," the doctor said. "Before we end the appointment would you like to hear the heartbeat?" Uma and Harry nodded excitedly as they turned back towards the screen. Dr. Possible turned a small knob and the room was soon filled with the sound of the baby's beating heart. "Wow." Uma whispered as she took in the sound. "Ye said it love." Harry whispered back before kissing her hand.
              Dr. Possible smiled at the young couple. "Would you like a copy of the ultrasound?" Uma started to reply but Harry cut her off. "Two please." Uma raised an eyebrow at her boyfriend. "Why two?" Harry grinned as he took the photos from the doctor. "One for you and one for my wallet." He said tucking away his photo before giving Uma hers. Uma grabbed the photo and took a picture with her phone before typing furiously on her keyboard. "What are ye doing love?" Hairy asked curiously. "I set up a group chat with everyone to show the photo. Look, the comments are coming in."
Uma🐙: We finally got to see the baby!