Lavender Happened

On the first Ancient Runes class of the year, we were assigned a large essay.

"I bet Snape will give us loads of homework," said Ron when he heard Hermione complaining. Snape opened the classroom door.

"Inside," he hissed.

It looked like Snape had tried to make the room look as close to the dungeons as possible. Heavy curtains covered the once large and light windows. The room had to be light by candles, which seemed wasteful to me. Once seated, Hermione reached into her bag to grabbed a book, but a glare from Snape drive her hand, and she timidly drew her hand back.

"You have had five teachers in this subject. Naturally, these teachers will all have had their own methods and priorities. Given this confusion I am surprised so many of you scraped an O.W.L. in this subject. I shall be even more surprised if all of you manage to keep up with the N.E.W.T. work, which will be more advanced." Snape set off around the edge of the room, speaking now in a lower voice; the class craned their necks to keep him in view.

Part of me wanted to hate him and call him a terrible teacher, but he was making some good points. The only good teacher we ever had was "Moody" and Lupin. If it wasn't for DA, most of us would have failed.

"The Dark Arts," said Snape, "are many, varied, ever-changing, and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible."

Okay, that was weird.

"Your defenses," said Snape, a little louder, "must therefore be as flexible and inventive as the arts you seek to undo."

He was completely correct. It was refreshing after Umbridge to hear a teacher understand that you have to understand Dark Arts to properly fight them. Understand your enemy.

"These pictures" - he indicated a few of them as he swept past - "give a fair representation of what happens to those who suffer, for instance, the Cruciatus Curse" - he waved a hand toward a witch who was clearly shrieking in agony - "feel the Dementor's Kiss" - a wizard lying huddled and blank-eyed, slumped against a wall - "or provoke the aggression of the Inferius" - a bloody mass upon ground.

Maybe he was acting a bit crazy, but so had "Moody" and he was a great teacher. Even if he had tried to kill me...

We were split up to practice nonverbal spells, which I had a little practice in. However, Harry just couldn't keep his temper in check. Honestly I was surprised it took him so long.

"Do you remember me telling you we are practicing nonverbal spells, Potter?"

"Yes," said Harry stiffly.

"Yes, sir."

"There's no need to call me 'sir,' Professor." The words had escaped him before he knew what he was saying. Several people gasped, including Hermione. Behind Snape, however, Ron, Dean, and Seamus grinned appreciatively. I high fived Ron, grinning just as hard. Next was Potions.

"Now then, now then, now then," said Slughorn, whose massive outline was quivering through the many shimmering vapors. "Scales out, everyone, and potion kits, and don't forget your copies of Advanced Potion-Making..."

Sir?" said Harry, raising his hand. "Harry, m'boy?"
"I haven't got a book or scales or anything — nor's Ron — we didn't realize we'd be able to do the N.E.W.T., you see —"

"Neither do I," I added. "The requirements for the class were different with Snape."

"Not to worry," he said in a jolly tone.

We handed us the supplies and set us to work. The prize for the best potion was a luck potion, but I decided to forget about it. I was above average in potions at best. However Harry made the best potion instead of Hermione. She was annoyed to say the least.

Apparently, Harry's book still had notes in it from the past owner. An argument ensued. Hermione swore it was cheating because it wasn't his own work. Ron said it was just following different directions. I agreed with Ron, but thought it would only be fair if everyone was following Harry's directions.

When it came down to it, I didn't care.

I left, not bothering to tell anyone. They would figure it out eventually.

I ran into Lavender on the way to the dorm.

"Were you just with Ron?" she asked, after we greeted one another. She glanced down the hall at his red hair loosing any subtlety.

"Yes." I squinted at her. "Why do you like him all of a sudden. He's... not as attractive... as some guys you could date," I said slowly. Wincing slightly as I insulted my friend.

"There's just something about him," she gushed, while searching for the right words. "He's got so...hunky, and he's so brave. Did you know he was at the Ministry with Harry?"

"Lav..." I said slowly. "I was at the Ministry. Lots of people were at the Ministry. Neville was at the Ministry."

"But Neville doesn't have muscular arms," she said matter a factly.

I sighed, at a loss. "Go ask him out, or something..."

Lav simply shook her head. "He likes Hermione right now."

"What-?"

"He's needs to get over her before I make a move-"

"Wait-"

"otherwise it will be useless."

My head was reeling, as the lives of my friends romantically tangled together. I knew Hermione liked him, but had no idea he liked her as well.

"Well I better go."

I stared at her back as she flounced away, mouth gaping. What had just happened?

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•
Hey Everyone, before you grab the pitch forks, let me explain. If any of you read the post I put on my message board, you know that I had completely run out of Marvel content to pull from. I was hesitant to use Infinity War, because I don't know how it will end yet, and I wouldn't want to mess up the story line. So I turned to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Because of school it took me about a month to watch the whole fourth season. I have everything planned out now, so hopefully updates will be more frequent.

Forever and Always,

Me.