Happier

Pain exploded in my head, as a book whipped against the back.

"What was that for?" I hissed, turning around in my desk. Burnell gave me a cheeky smile only he could give me.

"What?" He put his hands half way in the air as if to surrender. "Your the one who's worried you'll fail Math."

I frowned, rolling my eyes. "That doesn't mean you can hit me with books."

"Don't fall asleep then."

I reached back and shoved him playfully.

"Mrs. Coulson," the teacher snapped. "I do suggest you pay attention, considering you current grade."

"Yes Ma'am," I replied, kicking Burnell to stop his laughing. I had forgotten I was still in class.

Finally, the bell rang. My fellow classmates scrambled over each other to leave. I walked out of the class, Burnell following.

"Heading to detention?" I smirked.

"No," he replied.

I raised an eyebrow. "Finally decided to say Hail Hydra Before the morning announcements like we're supposed to?"

"I mouthed it, and I guess they thought it was progress."

"Always stubborn," I laughed as he slipped his arm around me. I smiled up at him. We had only started dating a few months ago, so I may or may not still be a little love sick.

Burnell pauses in the hallway, right in the blind spot of the cameras. "Want to tag some cars with me today? Really stuck it to Madam Hydra?"

I laughed. "We did that yesterday, besides I have orchestra practice." I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek. Then hurried off.

"Have fun rebelling," I called over my shoulder.

Mom picked me up after rehearsal, and we went home. It took a little longer than usual because we had to pass through a new Inhuman check point, but we had nothing to worry about.

When we got home, Dad flung the door open, an excited look on his face. "The soap is finished."

"What about dinner?" I teased and walked inside. Sure enough, the smell of soap and the house smelled like lavender. I loved the smell of lavender, it made me think of laughter whenever I smelled it. I plopped my violin down on he bench in the entry way.

"No you don't—" Mom looked up sharply—"Put that in your room."

I sighed and did as she asked. When I got back to the kitchen, I set the table with Mom while Dad got the food out of the oven. The smell of steak filled the room, mixing unpleasantly with the lavender.

"Why are we having steak?" I asked. "Is it a special occasion or something?"

"I think your father was bored." she laughed and pecked him on the cheek as she reached for a plate in the cupboard.

Dad smiled and fixed his glasses. "I did finish grading early."

We finally sat down at the table and dug in.

"How was orchestra?" asked Dad.

"It was alright." I swallowed a mouthful of food. "We mostly practiced Willows, and the cellos have the medley in that, so it was kind of boring."

"You violinists never appreciate the melody when you have it," stated Mom, jabbing her fork in my direction to emphasize her point.

Dad and I rolled our eyes. The rivalry between cellos and violins ran deep.

"Every time a the cellos get the melody, it is like Christmas came early, and you can bet it is played to perfection."

Dad sensing a musical debate, changed the topic. "The soaps are lavender scented."

"That's nice," I said, choking on my laughter.

"I'm glad I finished a batch today, we were almost out. I wouldn't want the regular Hydra soap to brainwash us just because we ran out of soap."

"In any case," said Mom who was always skeptical of dads Hydra conspiracy theories. "It smells better."

"Burnell agrees," I said, smirking a little.

"Kendra," Dad put down his fork. "I thought I advised you not spend to much time with him."

"Why not?" I demanded, sick of having this argument. "He believes everything we do. He thinks Hydra is wrong and oppressive too."

"But he's not discreet. Tagging cars and arguing with teachers does not do anything. All it does is let Hydra know he doesn't agree with them. It's going to get him taken away," he paused. "I wouldn't want that to happen to you."

"But Hydra is wrong."

Mom smiled sadly. "If you really want to help those people, do it subtly. Being rash does not help anyone."

We eat our food in silence for a moment.

"Audrey." Dad turned to Mom. "How was rehearsal?"

Mom smiled. "We received the music for this season."

My eyes light up. "Can you play it for us?"

"After dinner."

So Mom grabbed her cello from her room, and Dad an I piled on the couch. Her little recital went on for about an hour, they always do. It was very picturesque: the fireplace crackling, laughter mixing with the cello music, sinking into Dad and the couch.
Sometimes it all seemed too perfect.

I arrived at school the next day twenty minutes early. It's was the best time to arrive. Not so early I was waiting around, but I wasn't in a hurry.

I was rummaging through my locker, when somebody on the other side of the locker door knocked on it.

I smiled a little and shut the door with a clang. "Well, look what the cat dragged in."

"You know you love me," Burnell replied. Be bent down and kissed me quick. "Lavender—Your dad just finished the soap."

"From your lack of scented soap smell, you must still be brainwashed."

"I knew there had to be an explanation to why I loved you so much." He caught me by the waist, blushing a little. I looked up feeling a smile tug at the corners of my mouth.

"What's my excuse then?"

:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!:!
Hey Everyone, another chapter will be published on Monday.

Forever and Always,

Me.