Shut Up About Malfoy

When I sat down at the breakfast table the next morning, Hermione had turned an expression of wintry disapproval upon Harry.

"Was this spell, by any chance, another one from that potion book of yours?" she asked.

"Are we still talking about the potions book?" I asked as I sat down and began loading my plate with food.

"It could be dangerous!" said Hermione in a defensive tone.

"Look, Hermione, Harry is not going to change his mind—"

"She's not wrong," Harry added.

"— and it hasn't done any harm yet, so..."

"It took Tom Riddle's diary a while didn't it!"

" Hey, Harry, I'm supposed to give you this."

I turned around and saw Ginny, holding out a piece of paper. Her face was a little white, but her jaw was set firm. A red blush was creeping up Hermione's neck.

"Thanks, Ginny... It's Dumbledore's next lesson!" Harry told us, pulling open the parchment and quickly reading its contents.

"Monday evening!" He smiled.

"Want to come with us to Hogsmeade, Ginny?" I asked.

"I'm going with Dean — might see you there," she replied, waving at us as she left.

"And off walks the heart breaker," I said, smiling with pride.

"Oi," exclaimed Ron. "That's my sister!"

"Be proud." I leaned across the table and patted him on the shoulder. Ron glared at me, but stayed silent. I glanced over at Harry, and noticed he seemed just as bothered as Ron. Hermione gave me a knowing look. Where all my friends going to couple up?

"Let's head off to Hogsmeade," said Hermione. We all got up. Flinch's security check was illogical and annoying, but we got through it all right.

It was snowing in Hogsmeade. Our breath froze like clouds in front of us. On our way to three broomsticks, Harry barely got out of going to another Slughorn Party.

"Hermione," I said as we stood in front of Three Broomsticks. Harry and Ron were talking to some man. "What am a supposed to wear for the party tonight?"

Hermione shrugged. "Just wear what you wore last time."

"But that's Jazz's dress. I can't keep wearing her clothes."

"You should have brought your own dress," said Hermione.

"But it wasn't on the school list."

Hermione looked at me incredulously. "You only bring the clothes it tells you on the list?"

"No... but I didn't think I would need anything fancy."

There was a thud. I whirled around and saw Harry pinning the man to the brick wall by the throat. His form was sloppy. He pulled out his wand.

"Harry!" squealed Hermione.

"Don't lock your elbows," I advised.

"You took that from Sirius's house," said Harry, who was almost nose to nose with Mundungus and was breathing in an unpleasant smell of old tobacco and spirits. "That had the Black family crest on it."