Placebo Effect

We got back to school in time for quidditch practice, and no one noticed we were gone. Hermione was disappointed in the faculties observation skills. Ron's knew aggression that surfaced during his fight with Hermione had not gone away. Much to Harry's concern, it was affecting his Keeper Skills.

During Sunday's practice, Ron was playing terrible and acting terrible. Which wasn't great, because I was a Chaser. He kept glaring at me the whole week, muttering things about him missing because I had an unfair advantage. It wasn't just me he was being snarky with. He had practically shunned Hermione and was constantly getting into arguments with Ginny.

The Friday practice before Saturday's game, his anger peaked.  Ron failed to save every single goal the Chasers aimed at him, but bellowed at everybody so much that he reduced Demelza Robins to tears.

"You shut up and leave her alone!" shouted Peakes, who was about two-thirds Ron's height, though admittedly carrying a heavy bat.

"ENOUGH!" bellowed Harry. "Peakes, go and pack up the Bludgers. Demelza, pull yourself together, you played really well today, Ron..." he waited until the rest of the team had left. I lingered, but Harry shook his head at me slightly, and I left.

That night, I was texting Peter and Shuri on a group chat I made about the events of practice and the game tomorrow. They found the whole Slytherin vs. Gryffindor rivalry absurd, but found magic to interesting to not care about quidditch. Eventually Peter and Shuri got into an unstoppable debate about how the brooms could scientifically stay in the air without use of an engine. I lost the heart to remind them it was magically so it didn't really matter, and went to sleep.

The next morning I went down to breakfast with Hermione. News had reached the Slytherins that I was the new Chaser, so upon entering the the Great Hall, I was met with boos from their table. I flipped them off and promptly sat down. The Gryffindor table cheered.

"I'm going to sit with Lavender," said Hermione. I nodded and did the same. No one but Harry wanted to be around Ron right now. I wasn't even sure if Harry wanted to.

Next in came Ron and Harry. They were met with the say greeting. However Lavender shouted a compliment at Ron. I gave her a look and she shrugged. Hermione's face suddenly became stoney.

"I think I'll go see how Harry is doing," said Hermione sharply.

"Why's she so cross?" asked Lav.

"She not upset with you," I said assuringly.

"Ron, I warn you, don't drink it!" Hermione said alarmed. My head whipped around and I turned to look down the table where Hermione was talking to Harry and Ron. Ron picked up the glass, drained it in one gulp.

"I'll be right back." I got hurried up as inconspicuously as possible.

"Stop bossing me around, Hermione."

"What's going on?" I asked once I reached them.

Hermione looked scandalized and turned towards me, then said in a urgent hiss. "Harry put some potion in Ron's drink. You can guess what for."

"Look who's talking," Harry whispered back. "Confunded anyone lately?"

Hermione stormed away from the table.

"Harry—" I said.

"Ron's finished. We don't want to be late for the game."

I glanced at Ron, who seemed to have newfound confidence. To bad it was fake. We walked to the quidditch lockers together and met the rest of the team. The weather was cold, but there wasn't a chance of rain.