4.Burns

Glass flew everywhere as flames reached high up the sky wanting to be united with the sun. People were running. Running to save the two children. They were locked in the house.

He knew he was responsible for this. Responsible for burning everything. He tried hard not to let the flames touch her as they sat on the floor waiting to be saved. Her face was pressed against his chest. The flames flicked around and around but didn't come near. Or at least that's what he thought.

The inferno wasn't ending and though he could survive with fire threatening to blister off his skin, she could not. Every breath of hers resembled am old man's after spending a day smoking a pipe. His hands were keeping a check at her pulse, which was slowly but surely reducing.

Panic and dread filled his veins with ice. He caused this. If she dies it would be on him. Again.

It was always on him.

He was trying. Trying his hardest to control the fire that had erupted from his anger. The kids in the outer rooms were gone but these two got stuck before they could escape.

The rafter collapsed and he felt agony rip through him. Pain concentrated in the cells of his body. He fought back the feverish heat, working up some control.

The blaze was a monster. It was a monster and it was going to destroy both of them. Only one could form coherent thoughts. The other one lay unconscious. He could not possibly afford for her to just... die.

Another rafter collapsed but this time the stinging heat didn't touch him. He realised belatedly why.

He was pushed away... He was pushed away from the debris. And she was buried under it. He scrambled and pulled the burning roof of the orphanage off her back, not even once thinking about the pain. Yes, he was immune to fire. But only jf he concentrated. The back of her body had 4 parallel burns, bleeding...

A cry of anguish escaped Hoseok's mouth when she didn't move. He shook her head but she didn't move. The fire died down. All of a sudden. Like a light switch gone off.

And the two 13 year olds collapsed in each other's arms.

He woke up two days later. And it all came back in a rush. Springing up to search for his best friend, he was about to swing himself off the bed when he caught the bandages wrapped on his half naked body. Layers upon layers of white gauze covered him.

And then he saw the other bed. The figure laying on it. His heart collapsed.

"Hobi, I don't want to play cards," she said, exasperated.
"You always at that, " he retorted. "Are you even my friend anymore or are you becoming like them?"
She recoiled at his words. Of course she was his friend. He was hers too. She put a hand on his forearm, but he pushed her away. "Hobi.." She scooted closer. He rose to his feet. "Stay away from me." And turned to leave.

"Hobi, no!" She got up to run after him.
"I said, STAY AWAY!!" He threw out his arm wanting to push her back but instead a spark of flame came from his hand. The luminescent streak hovering in the air for a moment before everything was consumed by the inferno.

He carefully got off and walked to her side of the room. She was on her front. Her back was covered in bandages, some of which were soaked through with blood. His legs gave out and he slid to the floor.

"Hobi," she whispered and wiped away a tear from his cheek.
"They're gonna take me away. Away from you," he let out a choked sob.
"I won't let them. " she stroked his hair.
"I'm sorry, Dimi. Whatever happened to you is my fault. Dimi you always tried to keep me calm but I just can't. I nearly killed you," she stopped his rambling and clamped a hand against his mouth, effectively shutting him up.
"You and I, Hobi. Always you and I. We'll run away together."

"You and I, Hobi. Remember?" She smirked as the roller coaster was about to reach it's drop.
He nodded clutching her hand for dear life.
"You and I, Dimi."