21. Distance

I suggest listening to the above song for this chapter.

All of it was gone. Their memories, their relationships. Because broken hearts can be mended, but those shattered beyond repair cannot.

Her heart hurt to see what she had tried to protect so dearly, was ultimately broken by her. But she had to make them stronger, because she won't be there always. Because she was a ticking time bomb about to go off the moment that portal opens.

The tension and suffering was nearly tangible. The air seemed filled with it.

One day.

One day she had to wait.

And then they would be safe.

And Ivan would have to watch his back, because she was coming after him.

+++

24 hours is not much. But time seemed to deliberately drag slower, and slower till the hands of the clock seemed nearly stationary.

Namjoon was locked up in the prison of his mind, struggling to cope with the broken glass-like thoughts. He was worried and scared. Scared that this might be the last time he will be able to see her.

She was weak. Very much so. But then, so was he.

She was a drug and he was addicted. And he would rather spend what might be his last night in the refuge of her arms, than live the rest of his life regretting not doing it.

Because she was the poison and she was the cure.

He padded out of his room heading to hers. He opened the door slowly so as not to startle her. And stopped. Stopped breathing, in awe.

Red and gold and white and russet and brown. A myriad of colours met his eyes. Wings attached to the frailest of bodies. She lay on one corner of the bed, her limbs arranged awkwardly in a restless slumber. Her wings took up almost the entire bed, the feathers gleaming majestically. He bent and touched them lightly.

And it seemed fitting. It seemed fitting that she would have wings. He remembered when he had once asked her.

"I don't think god exists," he had said.
"Neither do I," she replied. "But I believe that guardians do."
"Yeah? Then who would be mine."
"Me. I'm your guardian. I'm your guardian angel," she smiled at him, playfully. He pulled her into his lap and connected their lips in a chaste kiss.

He snapped back to reality. She sat in the bed, her t-shirt had tears where the wings protruded. He retracted his hand.

Stood up.

"You have wings." He stated.
"Yes. I have wings." She replied, her voice more of an exhale than anything else.
"You could have saved Hoseok." He spat, the words like venom. Venom that he could neither swallow nor spit willingly. He regretted those harsh words instantly.
"It takes strong magic to-" she took a deep breath. "To conceal your-yourself." Her voice kept breaking at odd times.

And he suddenly remembered. The conversation between Yoongi and Yifa. A knot tightened in his heart, the more he thought about it. She was already dying. Taehyung's outburst just speeded up the process.

She coughed up red, wiping her mouth hastily to hide the blood. Her condition had deteriorated drastically. She had looked healthy barely a day ago. Now her appearance was more of a corpse. Pale and suck. Her body looking frail.

"You all should rest. A big-" she coughed again. "Big day tomorrow. Go."

But he didn't move. In one swift movement he captured her shoulders and shoved her body against his chest. Then let go just as quickly.

He could not close the distance between their hearts, but bodies... He could at least try.

The glass shards inside his chest raked his insides with every step he took away from her. It was agonizing.

"I love him, Namjoon." She spoke in a rush. "Ivan. I love him. I'm sorry."

He turned.

"We know. Jungkook was right. Just remember, Dimi. You broke us." He threw the last sentence like a knife and it stabbed her right through her heart.

He did not even regret it. Because every time he tried to summon that regret, Jungkook's innocent, babyish face came to his mind.

He would never regret it ever again.

That's what I have got you today. I'm sleep deprived and fucked up. My result came out today.

Well, guess I gotta focus on studies more. Fuck this world.....