15.Escape Route Plans

"No! Absolutely not! We can't bloody wait another goddamn week, Rafee. We might as well be dead by then. Yeah, come take a look for yourself. They're not what you're thinking. Yes, they are young. Okay. Okay, see you. Bring Yifa." She kept down the phone.

Apparently, they had phone service in the parallel dimension. She had been yelling at the "leader" for the past fifteen minutes and that dumb ass was too busy telling her about his new wife. Rafeeq Siddiqui was a lot of things, but serious isn't one of them. He was the ultimate jokster. Dimi wondered how he was chosen to head the Council of the Elders.

It was the governing body of the Plane and Rafeeq sat at the head of it, with his wife Yifa.

Yifa, Rafeeq, Dimi and Ivan had been childhood friends, and they knew they were the strongest Conductors, they had been told that for centuries. Ivan had always thought that he would be the one heading the Council.

By the time they had become mentally adults, Ivan had planned an elaborate scheme to take Rafeeq and Yifa down, leaving Dimi and him the only candidates.

And he wasn't bothered if Dimi was chosen because if she was he could rule by her side.
He truly, terribly loved her.
But never had the guts to say it.

Yifa would tease him for years on end, but he would always claim that she was kidding. And the worst thing was that Dimi always believed him...

She heaved a sigh of relief. At least now she had a plan to get them to safety. But of course, they can only come if the Council agrees. The leader alone cannot decide. Rafee will have to come and see that they are good enough to be allowed in. She wasn't worried about that. She was worried about what she would have to do after. And how she would tell the seven that she won't be going with them.

After all... she had an old friend to kill.

+++

The seven were seated, ready to listen to what she had to say.
"Okay," she took a deep breath. "Guys, Rafeeq and Yifa-my friends- are coming her from Pan. They will see if you guys are... worthy enough to be taken to the Plane and to Pan. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Don't worry though, Rafeeq is a fun man. He'll just test your powers. To see that you have enough control not to destroy the people in your proximity."
They nodded, some of them exchanging loaded looks.
"Dimi. I think we deserve to know who that man was. The one who tried to kill Hoseok," Taehyung stood up and stepped closer to her, his voice low.
"Yes. Of course. He was Ivan. Ivan Naivosk. He is like me. He can take people's powers... permanently. If he wants to." Her voice had dropped an octave. She said the following words in a clipped, clinical tone, devoid of any emotion.
"He was also my best friend and was in love with me. For years, without me knowing about it. He was charged with a murder attempt on Rafeeq. He's the head of the Council of the Elders. I think you remember I told you about him?" They nodded.
"Rafeeq, his wife Yifa, Ivan and I were friends in childhood. But Ivan wanted the positions of the head for himself so he planned to assassinate Yifa and Rafeeq on their wedding. He was put in prison-" she exhaled harshly, her voice no longer clipped, but shaking. "I put him in jail."
"So how's he here?" Jungkook asked.
"He escaped, obviously," Yoongi replied.
She nodded.
"We need to get to safety. If Ivan takes even one of your powers, it would end very badly. You guys wer- you guys were supposed to be archived. They somehow missed you. The Council keeps a record of each Conductor ever born. But somehow you guys were missed. They can predict who is a Conductor. Elena Harrison, on the Council, has the power to see the future. But you slipped past her. And you are powerful. Extremely so. All of you. You in the hands of Ivan would be Hell unleashed.
"We can't afford that. Rafeeq and Yifa will be arriving tonight. We have to do everything quickly. I suggest you keep a bag handy. We might have to make a quick escape what with Ivan on the lose."

Again, they could only nod in silent agreement. There was nothing to say. They had to escape or they would be dead by the week's end.

Each of their gazes followed Dimi's figure which was slumped like the entire weight of the world. Or perhaps the weight of just the seven.

She straightened, making all of them retreat back and headed out of the living room.

"Do you think he still loves her?" Someone spoke after she left, Jimin perhaps.
"Who? Ivan?" Taehyung answered. Jimin nodded.
"He seemed.. broken yesterday. Hurt, even." Jimin spoke, cautiously, waiting for the other's reaction. Namjoon hummed in agreement.
"It is quite possible," Yoongi supplied. "But what about her? Do you think she still-" Jin ventured.
"No," the maknae sharply replied. "She doesn't love him. She loves us."
"Jungkook, it might be that-" Hoseok began but was cut off.

"She cannot love him. He tried to kill you, hyung, and damn nearly succeeded too," Jungkook glared at all of them, daring them to argue with him.
"Hyung, all of you, I believe in her, okay? I know she doesn't love him."

They all nodded just to ensure the youngest. Because they themselves were harbouring the hope he was voicing out.

Hope is a dangerous thing. The world is built on hope. But sometimes having too much of it is what destroys people. Putting too much of hope into something and then watching it fail. It breaks people beyond repair.