friend | 9

Chapter 9:
Friend

"Remember those walls I built, well baby they're tumbling down"
-Beyonce (Halo)

"Alright, so if sulfur is 's', then silicon is...?" Corbyn wondered as he gently rubbed at his eyes. They've been irritated recently as Jake broke his only pair of glasses, and he had to start using his contacts. It's not like he hates wearing contacts; he just hates the fact that they take a while to get used to.

Jonah casually bit his lip as if he really seemed to be thinking. He glanced Corbyn over, a small grin tugging on his lips. And with a snicker he closed the textbook that was filled with multiple sentences that revolved around the study of science. The faux blonde watched with a raised eyebrow.

"'Si', Corbyn. I'm not dumb, I already know all of this" Jonah speaks confidently as he picked up a fry that lay on his plate and flicked it at the other. Corbyn jumped at the impact of the fry with his forehead, before frowning.

"Then I don't understand why we're even doing this. I could be hanging out with Daniel and Zach" Corbyn responded. He grabbed for his book, packing his items back into his school bag. Jonah rolled his eyes as he let out a sigh. His once happy demeanour dropped into it's usual cold and closed off one. The thought of making him upset made Corbyn's heart ache.

He didn't mean for it to come off in such a harsh way.

"I-I. I didn-" he was stopped.

"Whatever. You're right" Jonah then looked in a different direction, catching the attention of the familiar waitress named Joan. She smiled, but then frowned as she seen Jonah with a scowl. "Check please?" His tone was different. It wasn't deep and rude. It was hurt.

Joan just shook her head and scurried off to go get the black check book.

"We don't have to continue this tutoring. The test is in a few days anyway. I think I can manage without you" Jonah states. Corbyn looked at him with wide eyes and a dropped jaw. He shook his head quickly.

"W-What? No. I tol-"

"Like I said, Besson. I'm not dumb" the check was placed in front of him, Jonah giving a weak grin towards Joan. He pulled out the loose cash he had in his jacket pocket, handing it towards her. Jonah stood to his feet, beginning to walk towards the front of the diner. Corbyn and Joan watched him go in awe.

It made Corbyn quickly gather his belongings and scurry after the other. But before he got far, his arm was being tugged back. The blonde could see it was Joan with a frown.

"He's a good kid. And for him to bring you to what he calls his special place, he must really like you. Don't hurt him, alright?" Joan speaks softly. She wasn't upset with Corbyn, but she definitely held force behind her words. Corbyn only nodded, before he went after Jonah. It wasn't hard to find him, as the parking lot for such place was no where near packed.

And as he approached the familiar truck, Corbyn rolled his eyes. There Jonah was again, smoking his life away. The faux blonde stole the cigarette from his lips and threw it to the ground. He stepped on it, his eyes locked on the male before him. Jonah was staring back, no emotion plastered on his face. He reached in his pocket for his box of many other orange and white sticks, but it was quickly ripped out of his grip. Jonah growled at the action.

"You say you're smart, yet you still inhale these deadly things!" Corbyn finally spoke, breaking the intense silence.

"Funny. Give 'em back."

"No" Corbyn moved the box out of reach.

"Give them, Besson" Jonah said sternly this time. Corbyn just moved his arm once again. Jonah quickly grabbed his wrist, stopping his movements. The blonde glared at Jonah, as he managed to control him so easily. "You really need to stop pushing my limits with your smart mouth and devious tricks."

Corbyn took a step closer. Jonah dropped his grip, eyes battling with the icy blue ones that seemed to hold so much fire as his did.

"And you need to learn how not to be so cold hearted" the faux blonde seethed. "No wonder you and Daniel didn't work out."

Jonah's face softened as the words flew through his ears. And it made Corbyn regret ever saying it. He moved away from Jonah, eyes wide as he covered his mouth with his hand. But he quickly removed it to blurt out multiple apologies. Jonah wasn't listening though. His eyes burned with tears as he dropped his head. Corbyn tried to reach out and touch the older, but his wrist was grabbed once more.

"I'm sorry" Jonah whispered. Corbyn got closer to him yet again, shaking his head.

"You did nothing wrong, Jonah. I'm the one wh-" he was stopped.

"No. I'm sorry that I actually tried with you" Corbyn looked at him surprised. "I thought I would be able to call you my friend. If I just opened up a little" Jonah finally looked up at Corbyn; the faux blonde gasping at the sight of a distraught Jonah. "Guess not. I'm so sorry."

He then pushed Corbyn away, going over to the driver's side. He had gotten in and didn't hesitate to start the engine. Corbyn immediately followed him, tapping on the car window as if signalling him to stop. Jonah obviously wasn't paying attention to his protests as he just shook his head and drove off. Corbyn watched the vehicle descend down the road with a huff.

His fists tightened as a crushing feeling was traveling through his palm. He looked down to see that Jonah's box of cigarettes was still in his hand. Tears weld up in his eyes as his chest suddenly began to tighten. He threw the box to the ground and stomped on it repeatedly. And with every contact he would scream out. He never meant to hurt Jonah. He never meant to actually get to know him either.

And he certainly never meant to actually feel something for him.

+

Sorry if this was all over the place. Hopefully the next chapter will be better.

-Nevaeh